Remember about 6 months ago when Chloe went through the taking off her diaper phase? I put blankets sleepers and overalls on her, but nothing could prevent her from getting her diaper off.
I knew I had to potty train her. I didn't want to do it until after summer, but I saw the inevitability and prepared myself for war.
I knew I had to potty train her. I didn't want to do it until after summer, but I saw the inevitability and prepared myself for war.
I bought this cool toilet seat, that my cousin told me about. So much less nasty than the removable ring.
I bought undies.
I was ready to go. But each day I would wake up intending to make the switch, and then decide to wait one more day. I told you, I don't love potty training. I like diapers better than potty training.
After a few weeks, Chloe stopped taking off her diapers and I went back to Plan A: Potty train her after summer vacation.
Of course school started a month ago, and I have been playing the one more day game again. Last week I finally decided that it was time. I switched her to undies, expecting the best. She has told me when she goes potty for months. I knew she was capable of potty training, in one day probably. I also knew that Chloe is the most stubborn child ever and I just hoped she would be for, and not against, potty training.
No such luck!
She has refused to use the toilet. If she didn't know how, I would back off, but she is being intentionally defiant. She will sit on the toilet and pretend to push and say she doesn't have to go. Then she gets down and sits on a pillow and pees, smiling at me while she does it. She will sit on the toilet lid while it is shut and brag about the way she is using the toilet. She will flat out tell me that she peed her pants because she didn't want to pee on the toilet.
I have not made a deal of it. I don't want her to think she has me rattled. I just take the undies, wash them, clean up the mess, remind her how to use the toilet, and back into undies she goes. I thought I was being so patient and effective, but she would not cave. Not even once. I thought that if I could get her to go once, I could cheer and praise her and she would be hooked.
I made Seth take a turn on Saturday and she played the same games with him.
I know I had previously sworn off rewards, but I finally broke down on Sunday and told her Doritos were for big girls and she could have some if she peed on the toilet. If anything, it made her more defiant. She said she didn't want Doritos anyway. She totally wanted the Doritos. She was drooling like Pavlov's dogs, but she stood her ground.
Today I told her we should go to the park and that as soon as she jumped on the potty and peed, we would be ready. She peed her pants all morning. She was especially rude about the whole thing today, too. Seth called during one of our sit-ins on the toilet and I gave him the update. He told me to eat some Doritos with my lunch. I couldn't do it. I knew it would work, but I couldn't do it. Instead, I introduced a new variable, one that had not previously been designated as a potty reward. After lunch, I ate a tootsie roll and some m&m's. I didn't say anything about it. I just ate them casually while I was cleaning up from lunch. She asked for a tootsie roll, and suddenly I had my leverage. I put a tootsie roll on the counter and told her it was all hers, as soon as she used the toilet. She had a fit! For an hour. She yelled at me and said she would never, ever use the potty. She kept getting a chair and trying to climb up for that tootsie roll. You may think I am mean, and I felt mean, but I knew that if I buckled, we would never make any progress. Besides, I wasn't depriving her of anything she needed. She was fed and bathed and cared for. No one was yelling at her or criticizing her. It was just a tootsie roll.
After a good hour, Chloe came to me with the nastiest little smirk on her face and declared,"I'm going to pee in the potty", like it had been her idea all along. We walked in, she sat down and she peed. She tried to keep her sour face when I cheered for her, but she couldn't. She was so excited to be a big girl. She got a tootsie roll and Doritos. She laid on the couch savoring every bite. She even licked all the cheese off slowly before biting into each chip. I suspect that was the most satisfying bag of Doritos she had ever tasted.
I was so happy to get that first success out of the way, but I figured we were both exhausted, so I put a Pull Up on her. Breaking my own rules, again. That way we could both keep focusing on potty training, but relax just a little bit. About an hour later I was shocked when she came to me and said, "mommy I am ready to go potty again".
I was even more shocked awhile later when she started to poop and then stopped and asked, "mommy, I'm pooping, do we go to the toilet?" Heck yes, we do. Three successes in a row.
I knew she was ready! I almost gave up and shelved the idea until December, but I knew she was ready. You may not agree with my methods. I am not even sure I agree with my methods, but it worked. I knew I had to get stubborn Miss Chloe to take ownership of her potty training. It was never going to work until it was her idea.
And I have been reminded that there are no hard and fast rules for what works in parenting. It is a whole new experience every single time.
I have also been reminded that Chloe is going to be lots of fun during the teenage years. But hey, at least she won't be in diapers.
11 comments:
I bet she will now be totally trained...she just had to get over the initial stubbornness!
Luke and I just went to the pharmacy to get the nasty "no bite" polish. He tried to convince me on the way that he could stop biting on his own, but I told him he needs the polish. Then he says, "fine...I'm just gonna bite them a little bit in the car until we get the polish." I guess he had to get one last session in! Now all three of us are putting this gross stuff on our nails and going cold turkey!
Oh my gosh Julie, I just had the worst potty training experience in the whole world. You have no idea how much stress this is causing me!
Also, you may think you have the most stubborn child but you don't...I do....
I'm super jealous and secretly relieved. Always love it when it isn't just my kid. Misery loves company. Scarlett has been taking off her diaper for weeks. I know she is ready but I just can't bring myself to do it.
and i LOVE that seat. I hate the filthy ring and just don't use it. i'm am going to get that seat before I even consider starting.
Brittney
Yay for successes. I hate potty training too. I know what you mean about rewards... but some of these kids need something. I told you movie nights are what finally worked for us. You just have to find something 'extra' that motivates them and pretty soon they'll forget all about it and just be in the habit.
Congrats on the patience to keep going..
Val, I was hoping Chloe would be 100% done in an instant too, but we have had two accidents today. No big deal though, because we have had 3 successes and I haven't even had to ask her if she has to go. She is telling me, so we are on the right path. Let me know how the nail biting goes. Maybe I will hit Walgreens and join you guys. Nail biting is so hard to break!
Emily, Sorry you are having PT nightmares too. I remember trying to PT Alyssa when I was pregnant with Alex and then giving up, because I was too tired to stay on top of it. Maybe take a break if you need to. And now I know that the stubborn streak comes from your side of the family.
Brittney, I know what you mean. I don't want other people's days to be difficult or anything, but it is always nice to know that someone relates. Kudos to you if you are already thinking about PT with Scarlett, with a newborn. Although, I wonder if I would have had an easier time if I'd done it when Chloe first showed an interest? As for the potty seat, it was $35 at Home Depot and it was so worth it! I wish I'd known about it with the other two.
Cheryl, It is funny, I had to reward my girls. Everyone says boys are harder to train, but my boy was by far the easiest to train. Girls are stubborn! My patience barely held out, but I kept telling myself that I didn't want to have to start over again.
Wow, that little thing is too smart! Love her and you for sharing the stories! Too funny. But I must say that it makes me tired just thinking about the whole messy situation--make sure and reward yourself, too! :o)
It was a pain in the butt to do all of my kids but Cassie which I just let her do it herself. So yeah with Chloe! I am all about bribery!!!!! Just remember this when she is a teenager only then instead of doritos and tootsie rolls it will be a cell phone but it works the same way!!
You are anything but a mean mommy. Congratulations for figuring out a way to get her to take ownership. It may be up and down for a while (I hardly know anyone for which it wasn't) but the ups will take over the downs eventually. Hang in there!
And thank you for the laughs. I can say that now that I'm, what, 19 years? (feels like forever) from PT days.
Yay for Chloe! It really can be difficult to potty train those stinkers, but I think you went about it the right way. She was definitely ready and needed that extra "incentive" to get her to the final result. I don't know if you ever saw my post about Mimi's potty battle with me, but here it is:
http://hawleyfocus.com/blog/2008/04/30/flipflops-have-feelings-too/
And this, too:
http://hawleyfocus.com/blog/2008/05/01/the-no-baby-method/
Im a full supporter of whatever works, especially bribery. I think its so funny that you thought you were being mean. I do that to my kids all the time. I guess Im just plain evil! Thats awesome that she took to it so well after one time! Way to go Chloe!
So if that is you being a mean Mom, than I am just down right nasty. Macy has been potty trained for a while, but she refuses to poop. In fact she holds it for days at a time. I thought I was fine just letting it go, but you can only clean up poopy underwear for so long. Now I let her hold it for a day or two and then sit her on the toilet kicking and screaming until she goes. Today she was on there for five minutes with tears rolling down her cheeks. Then of course as soon as she went she hopped right off and said "now I get a treat!" I don't think she's too traumatized!
Post a Comment