CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Primary Program 2010- I Know My Savior Lives

They nailed it!

Alright, so they sang the verses of Choose the Right Way out of order, but who cares. That was my least favorite song in the program and I just laughed as they tried to get their cute selves back on track. Plus, no one else knew it was wrong, so I still say they nailed it.

Was there ever any doubt? I have learned that if you prepare, and practice, and pray, the Primary Program will always be perfect. Why? Because nothing and no one can bring the Spirit like the children can.

Plus, our music leaders rule the school. They even had Primary children on the viola and cello. Seriously.

I wasn't nervous. I slept last night. I wasn't sick to my stomach. I wasn't anxious and panicked waiting for our turn. I was completely at peace. The only thing I was worried about was the fact that I wasn't worried. So not like me.

Yes, I choked up a little bit while I spoke, and bawled as the kiddos sang, but that was just gratitude oozing out. Still no nerves. I wasn't even aware that anyone was watching us. I am so very happy in my tiny chair by the podium. I believe I will weep freely the first time I have to sit and watch the program from the congregation. It is a remarkable gift to be part of it with the kids.

Enough about me, let's talk about Alex and Alyssa. Alyssa is an old pro by now. She gets really nervous, but she marches up and does her part. Alex almost chickened out, but since I was up there to put my arm around him and tell him he could do it, he managed to get through it.

Do you care what they said?

Alex: I can follow Jesus Christ by being good, helping people, and using my manners.

Alyssa: The Holy Ghost helps me know the answers to my prayers. I lost my earring at Wisconsin Dells. After I prayed, I felt like I should look in my shoe and my earring was in there.

Alyssa's class also sang part of The Holy Ghost solo, since they are the ones who were/or will be, baptized and confirmed this year. She did not want to do it, but I assured her that she would be fine with 7 other kids. Of course, the only class that pulled a no show today was hers. There were only 4 of them, and I think it tortured her, but she stood there. I never heard her tiny voice, but her mouth was moving at least.

I was so proud of those two, but equally proud of the other 60 kids.

Now I just worry that they will release me before next years program. Half the Presidency is moving in the Summer and I am afraid they will release us all when they go. I love next year's theme (I Know the Scriptures are True) and I really want to play again. Either way, I have been given the chance to do this three times. So blessed. So grateful.

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh how I hope you are NOT released. I feel okay saying that because you say you want to be there still. You are the absolute best at this calling. I can't imagine it without you.
I am so glad to hear it went so well. I can't believe you weren't nervous and up all night but I am glad you got to have that peace this time.
Way to go Alyssa and Alex! I love their answers!

Prudy said...

I have selfish, selfish reasons for not wanting you released. I just got called as first counselor last week and I've been planning on copying you all year. Stay put! Hooray for A and A.

Julie L said...

Hooray for a great program! It's sad that little children do not know how they touch the lives of the adults with this program. Congrats on having a successful one.

Katie and Mark said...

I'm so glad it went great! Ours turned out amazing too. My kids did so good, and I was especially proud of Brooklynne b/c it was her first year up there. She did awesome! She not only memorized her part and recited it by herself, but she did it in the cutest sing-songy voice. :)

Brooklynne said (or sang) "My Mom helps my family by cleaning the bed, cleaning the toys, and picking up things on the floor." Can you tell they interviewed the kids, and incorporated their answers into their parts. :)

Seth and Julie said...

Erin, Yay for being called to Primary. I am sure you will have lots of ideas I want to borrow too.

Katie, I am glad your program was a success. We also had the kids write their own parts, after we asked them a question on the topic their group was speaking on. I do write parts for the narrators, but everyone else speaks in their own words. I love the stuff they come up with. One kid said, "I can follow Jesis Christ by not shooting my brother with a dart gun." You couldn't script that cuteness. What's funny is that his brother had a question about the Holy Ghost and talked about a time when the Holy Ghost told him not to hit his brother. Thank goodness for the gospel, or those two boys would be pummeling each other. Anyhow, I love the stuff they "write". The funny ones and the serious ones. Yay for Brooklynne for memorizing her part and then singing it to you.

Catherine said...

I'm so glad it went so well. Yay for you. And for you kids, too. I just read your comment to Katie, and I love that you scripted the kids answers into the program. I think half of the fun of being in Primary is hearing all the crazy stuff the kids have to say. I just taught a lesson on talents and I asked all the kids what they were good at and one of them told me, "I'm good at helping my mom, because my dad never helps my mom." I was wanting to write the answers down for them to take home and show their parents, but I had to edit that one just a bit.

Leslie said...

I think you are a great Primary President.
Your program sounded like it went really well, and I am not surprised. I think your past primary activities have been so clever, fun and good for the kids.
I'm looking forward to seeing you. I can't believe we are really going to get together. Your mom has been emailing me and I'm so glad it's going to happen.
Heidi lives out here now and she's going to come too. It'll be fun and we'll have our kids with us.
That's great you get to come see your family for a couple of weeks. Thanks for making time to see us, too.

Jen said...

The program WAS perfect! Even with my Mimi not knowing half the songs, I still think all the kids looked comfortable and happy to be up there, and each did their individual parts wonderfully. I know it's never the intention, but it's always fun to get some laughs out of the crowd, too, which was not lacking this year. I can't wait until Violet's just old enough to be in Primary and to watch all 3 of my girls up there. I'll get 3 years of that. YAY!

Tanya said...

I'm so glad your program went well! I think of you often because I'm in the Primary as well. I called shortly after we moved out this way.I had to write our Primary Program.Yuck!But I LOVE PRIMARY! I've never been in the Primary before. I find my self teary very often! I'm the biggest baby! The children are so sweet and precious.
Who's in your presidency now? You've been in the president for quite a while now. You did such a great job while I lived in Kenosha. I'm sure you still do. Brian also enjoyed working with you, and said you were so good with the kids.
It's great to see your family pictures, and that your doing well. Miss you guys