Have you had a Honey Crisp apple? Super Yum!
I never heard of Honey Crisp until I moved here, and you can only get them at the store for about a month every year, at about $3 plus per pound. BUT...if you can get them at the orchard, where you pay by the bag and not the type of apple, you are in luck. Plus, they are even more lovable when they are fresh picked. Our big annual apple extravaganza is on October 3rd (if you are local, you are invited), but by then Honey Crisps will be gone. They always get picked out in one hour. After that you may get a few of the stragglers, but the big juicy BEST ones are long gone. This year we decided to brave Honey Crisp opening day.
The forecast called for NASTY, but we knew it was our only chance, so we set out anyway. We even dragged the Hawley girls along. We actually adopted them for the weekend since Mike was out of town. We made the 45 minute drive, sat in line to get into the orchard for about the same amount of time, and walked out into the drizzly rain to fill our bags. And then BOOM, the sky released Lake Michigan on our heads. We ran with kiddos and dove into Jen's car, not paying any attention to the 85 billion muddy blades of grass we dragged in on our shoes (sorry!). Luckily they have a DVD player and the kids watched Toy Story for 30 minutes until we were back down to a light drizzle. By then Seth, who stayed out in the downpour, had filled one bag and we just had to fill the other as a team.
Toting two bushels of apples, we wandered down the road to another orchard where they make the best donuts in the world. The rain had stopped, and the kids played on the wet playground while Seth stood in line for 30 minutes to get 2 dozen HOT donuts. These donuts are the best. I look forward to them all year. So greasy and crispy around the edges. Lovely! We also loaded up on cheese. This orchard offers the best cheese I've ever tasted, too. Good cheese in Wisconsin? Go figure. I know we go to a lot of orchards, but they each offer something that we just can't pass up.
It was a fun day and we had some good laughs about dragging our selves out in to the elements. But....fun with friends, donuts, cheese, two drawers full of Honey Crisp apples....so worth it!
Warning: This will not be the last post this year about apple orchards.
The one picture I took before the flood gates broke. I had my waterproof camera.

Thankfully everyone had time to pick one apple before we headed for the car, so we had a snack while we waited out the storm.

Our return to the orchard

Watching cider being made

Anyone else think the smashed apples look like refried beans?

The close-up of the donuts was only mildly obsesive. This is where I take the donut love too far. A close-up of my half eaten donut!

Do you see the light fluffly centers on each side? And then how there is a darker yellow figure 8, down the middle and around the sides of the donut? Grease, my friends. All deep fried, crispy grease. I know, I have issues...BUT YUM!!!
13 comments:
Fun! I love those honey crisp apples. They are the best. I can't believe Seth waited in line that long for donuts. Doug would NEVER do that!
Honeycrisps have spoiled me for all other apples. I used to love them all, but now I'm lukewarm to anything but those ridiculously expensive honeycrisps. I miss apple orchards in the fall. Unfortunately they don't have too many in the dessert. That goes for fresh hot donuts and great cheese too. I'm thinking of moving to Wisconsin after this post. I know for sure I'm making donuts tonight now.
Count our fam in on the orchard trip in October. I LOVE it! I don't think I've ever tasted a honey crisp but I have tasted those amazing donuts. MMMM
Could you please send me a Honey Crisp? I'm dying for one now. Our entire family is obsessed with donuts. I believe one blog was dedicated to the Dunford donut, was it not? I also remember Glenn finding the Dunford bakery and everyone referring to it as "donut heaven".
Now, how can I ever taste a Honey Crisp? I'm betting nobody grows them around here, but they look wonderful! I love that your orchards all sport different draws like the cheese and the donuts. Wonder what it would take to convince some of our local orchards to do that instead of selling out and moving clear into the desert miles and miles from here. Oh, wait, you did say you had to drive 45 minutes. Maybe that's my problem. I want it next door!
Mmmmmm....It sounds tasty! I am not fan of donuts, but even I must admit-that one looks delicious! :)
Sigh, I miss this! Cute pix and way to keep the tradition ALIVE!! Ask for the recipe and post that, will ya? :o)
Cheryl, I think we would have waited twice as long. Since we only get the dounts once a year, we can't pass them up through rain, or snow, or 30 minute lines. Plus, last year it wasn't as busy (you probably remember since you were there) and the donuts were cooled. They are so much better hot, so we were actually happy to see a crowd. Come with us in a couple weeks. I'll get you the details.
Erin, What kind of doughnuts are you making tonight? Do you have a good recips for those cakey, greasy, cinnamon sugar gems? It would be dangerous if I could duplicate them year round, but I wouldn't be able to resist.
LeShel, I need to bring you a Honeycrip apple. And please come with us. The Sladeks always pick the date and time, but I will keep you posted for sure.
Mom, I guess we are donut people. Who else goes to Grandma's in the middle of the night? Oh, and Valerie called this morning to ask me if I could bring her a Honeycrisp apple in November. If I still have a few, I will be sure to throw them in my suitcase. Don't they sell them there? I had never seen them before, but maybe if I'd been looking I would have?
Julie, We actually have about 4 orchards that we visit, and the closest one is only 20 minutes away (the one where I took the kids), but we are picky about where we pick. Maybe it is just a tradition thing? Do you think I could just start shipping apples to everyone?
Katie, It is the BEST! It reminds me of Cracker Barrel pancakes. Have you had those? They are crispy around the edges. No one else knows how to do that to a pancake. Maybe we need to get Erin to work duplicating both recipes?
Katelin, We miss you too. Every year the big apple picking trip is a time to reminisce and take inventory of all the apple pickers who have since moved on. Sad! But remember that one apple picking trip when you were babysitting? That was a disaster. I bet that is not the trip you think of when you reflect back on our days at the orchard. Come on out conference weekend and join us!
My husband is obsessed with Honey crisp apples. I think it might be the real reason he wanted to come to Michigan.
Love that we were able to get Honeycrips this trip. I'll plan on another orchard trip just so Mike can experience it with the girls, but I'm not going to pick nearly as many since they won't be Honeycrisps. Unless, of course, they are really good sauce apples and Mike promises to make the sauce ASAP later that day so we dont' end up with another 1/2 bushel of apples sitting around. Those doughnuts were awesome, but I'm officially back on my diet this week. I've been eating SO MUCH FLIPPIN' CRAP these past couple of weeks and not exercising nearly enough. No more doughnuts, no more chocolate ganache, no more cheesecake, no more ice cream, no more CRAP, PERIOD! My belly flap is getting bigger just typing all that. Ugh! I'm always going to look like Mrs. Butterworth:(
Uh, yeah, I remember what you're talking about! That was too funny--well, not too funny at the time. Ha!
We definitely have to visit soon!
Lol! Grease and donuts go hand in hand don't then. I guess we forget that's why they are soo good. MMM, apples!
I bought me a Honey Crisp!! That is heaven. I'll never look at a Gala or Johnny or Golden Delicious the same way again. I'm a Honey Crisp girl.
Post a Comment