CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Scrapbook: Dairies and Daddies

I have LOTS of pictures of the annual Dairy Breakfast on Saturday so I thought I'd better post them now instead of waiting for a weekly recap. You know we love the dairy breakfast. I have talked about it before. It was muddy again this year, but we don't let tornadoes, thunderstorms, uprooted trees or muddy cow pies keep us away from this fun tradition.

Apparently we even look like Dairy breakfast enthusiasts, because as soon as we got our food and headed for a table, we were approached by the newspaper and asked for an interview. Seth did most of the talking. I tried to hide under the table. I did make a few comments. One was misquoted in a way that makes me laugh...and sound like a bumbling moron. I was hoping they would take pictures of the kids but wouldn't you know it, the camera man raised his camera and started snapping LOTS of pictures of me feeding Chloe. I tried to keep my head down to avoid being too visible. We were all amused that they took pictures of ME since I put lots of effort into hiding from the camera. You can read the article here, and scroll through the pictures. You'll see me and Chloe, as well as Seth with our friend, Mike. And just know that I did NOT say I wanted my kids to know about farms even if we don't live in Wisconsin. I am not mad at the reporter, as we were all kind of talking over each other. BUT...What I actually said in response to the question, "Do you have plans to move back to Utah?", was something like, "I don't know if we'll always live in WI, but while we do we want to be immersed in the Wisconsin experience." Kind of lame, but better than what was printed, I think. Anyhow, have a look, and know that the camera in my face was far more damaging to my appetite than eating in a barn.

I suppose it was appropriate that we were interviewed because we really do love the Dairy Breakfast, and living in Wisconsin. Here is a look at America's Dairyland 2010.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I am pretty sure Alex is holding his breath in this one.
Photobucket
Little barn kitties. The kids wanted to hold him. I learned on my mission not to ever touch a barn cat.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

After the dairy breakfast Seth took the kids fishing but didn't take the camera. Alex caught his first fish but the only picture I have is in a text message and I don't know how to get it from there to here? While they played, I went to a baptism for Primary and then we headed over to the Hawley's for a barbecue. We stopped on the way home from the DB and picked up portabella brats at a little mushroom barn. These things are yummy, even if you are not a brat lover.
Photobucket
After consuming our sausage quota, Seth and Mike put on a HUGE fireworks show for the kids.
Photobucket
It was so smoky, but don't these pictures just look like summer?
Photobucket
Photobucket
And unfortunately I only have one picture of Father's Day. Have a look.
Photobucket

I just noticed that the little stinker is covering her toes to hide all the paint on them.

I was trying to wrestle all the kids through the shower this morning so that Seth could sleep in for Father's Day. I ran up to help Alyssa get out and returned to a whole bottle of nail polish on the basement carpet. I admit, I was painting my toenails and left the polish, but I tightened up the lid. Not tight enough, obviously. Along with ruining carpet, the kids made Seth presents, breakfast in bed, and a nice dinner followed by texas sheet cake and he bought himself 2 boxes of Fireworks which I told him to put my name on. So thoughtful, I know.

I hope you all had an awesome weekend and managed to steer clear of news cameras and nail polish.

*FYI: Nail polish will come out of carpet (at least mostly) with Windex. I am still working on it.

13 comments:

Emily said...

Man that breakfast sounds yummy! What an awesome tradition.

Also good pictures you guys!!

LeShel said...

I tried to talk Kjel into the dairy breakfast this year and he said he'd rather sit in his house and eat a farm breakfast. We'll be doing the Wisconsin experience inside our home since Kjel doesn't do crowds. lame-o
I'm happy to see pics of the fun day!! Hooray for people to hang with and good food. Congrats on making it famous.
I love the summer pictures!

Hooray for fingernail polish. At least it's a good color?

LeShel said...

I just checked out the pics in the news article. You look great. I know we hate pictures of ourselves but you look beautiful. Poor Seth though, they caught him in a middle of a word and his mouth is formed all weird. tee hee.

Katelin said...

Love the traditions!! Even if it is a sticky, stinky one! I couldn't see the pix in the article? And the nail polish...what a turkey!! Miss you guys!

Sarah E. said...

Too fun! I hope you went out and bought all the extra copies. It's just too fun to forget!

Catherine said...

What a fun Summer activity. I read the article and eventhough you were misquoted, you didn't sound like an "bumbling moron." But I wouldn't want to be misquoted either.

I'm so glad that you were able to get the nail polish out of your carpet. My first thought when I saw it was that you would have the stain as long as you had the carpet. Did you already know that windex gets out nail polish? I had no idea, but I'm happy I know now.

Seth and Julie said...

LeShel, When I saw you in church yesterday I leaned over and told Seth I wished I would have known you were still here because I really wanted you to go with us this year. But now that I know Kjel wasn't down for it, I don't feel so bad. So sorry your Utah trip got delayed. Drive safely!

Katelin, Can you see any pictures above the article? The first one is a lady and her daughter feeding a cow. I think we are picture 3 and 7 or something...click through the image gallery. Oh, and we miss you too. I was looking at pictures from last year's DB and came across a picture of Chloe dripping chocolate popsicle all over your porch. It reminded me what a great day that was, and wish you were still here.

Catherine, I am glad the article didn't sound as lame as I thought it did. I just thought saying my kids would always know about farms was such a dorky thing to say, which is why I never said it. As for the Windex...I tried polish remover and it just smeared the paint. The picture was actually taken after I tried the polish remover. I quickly googled "how to remove nail polish from carpet" and found the Windex trick. I used a whole bottle and I can still see a light pink stain, but it is WAY better. I am going to grab another bottle tonight and give it another go.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha...you guys are famous! I don't think what the guy wrote made you sound dorky. It's funny that Alyssa is a little chick now with her sunglasses and all! Where did you get Al's Batman shirt?? Luke has the same shirt in black, but I like the gray one. As for Chloe...dang! I want to see an after picture once you finish cleaning it.

Seth and Julie said...

Val, Alyssa does suddenly think she is quite old, and cool. Alex's Batman shirt is from Target, $7. He wants to wear it every day. I just finished another round on the carpet. The stain is gone in some places and very faint everywhere else. I can't believe dried nail polish comes out. It leaves me wondering why Windex doesn't make a carpet cleaner, because it works better than any of the carpet cleaners I've tried. When Alyssa took a Sharpie to the carpet (5+ years ago)we used Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and they worked better than carpet cleaner too.

Cheryl said...

I think I'm going to break out the windex on some stains around here.

We were thinking about going but then I totally forgot it was Saturday. But... now I'm glad we didn't so I didn't end up in the paper with you! Ha. I thought you looked great in the picture.

Katelin said...

I did see the pictures today, and it was a super good one! That's fun--what are you going to do with your newfound fame? :o) Do you remember that last year when the guys went fishing was when Jared burned his head so bad that then it was oozing for days? SO NASTY!!

Jen said...

So glad we got to finally go to the Dairy Breakfast this year. Even though it was stinky we still really had fun. You are so full of it to say you looked awful in your newspaper picture. I think the photographer had a crush on you because it look like that picture had some extra photoshopping done it as compared to the others.

We did have quite a fireworks show. I'm still waiting for the police to show up at our door with a warrant for Mike's arrest.

Seth and Julie said...

Cheryl, you should have come! I think Abi would love it. Next year, for sure.

Jen, so are you saying that I actually looked WAY worse and had to be photoshopped? Ha,ha! The picture was okay, but in my attempt to hide my face I ended up showing way too much profile, which means way too much nose. I should have just kept my head up. And while I may be smiling, it was definitely a nervous smile. It could have been worse though. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to flat iron my hair the night before since I knew we would be leaving early. I could have had a frizzy mess of hair knotted up on my head. I don't think all the photoshopping in the world could have made that news worthy. I do wish they'd used a picture of the kids though.