Today was the Primary Program!
I have been nervous for weeks. We organized the program months ago, and practiced as much as we could in the past few weeks but I was still freaking out. It wasn't perfect and the kids were wiggling too much and they weren't singing as loudly as they do in Primary.
It is funny. Last year I got called and had a week to write and organize the program, two weeks to practice with the kids and then we went live. Somehow it went off without a hitch. This year there were so many more little hiccups. I couldn't sleep. I wasn't sure what I had done wrong. I wanted the kids and the ward to have an awesome experience and I was afraid I hadn't done enough to make that happen. I worried and I stressed, because that is always totally helpful, right?
I tried to find the kids that I haven't seen in a few weeks. I didn't want them to miss out. I begged people to come to the practices. I worried about the Spanish kids. Our Primary supports a Spanish branch as well as an English ward. We are two separate units and have sacrament meeting at different times but Primary together. I was sure I would not communicate with everyone clearly and as a result someone would miss the meeting. Then I got the call last night that two of my little stars were too sick to make it. I was so bummed out. Their parents were so bummed out. They worked so hard. I started worrying about that, because worrying about things you have no control over is even more useful, right?
I barely slept this weekend. I woke up this morning to the alarm clock. Not the one I set, the one that was pounding out of my chest. I saw the clock, 6:30, phew we didn't oversleep. Or does that say 8:30? Panic mode set in. Church starts at 8:30. I jumped up, cleared my eyes and looked again. Oh good, only 6:30. I better check one more time. I got ready. We shoved toast in to our kids mouths and stuffed them into clothes. We ran out the door so that we could arrive early. We never arrive early but I wanted to make sure everything was set up and ready to go. We set it up yesterday at practice but how could I be sure a chair thief hadn't come in the night and hit the jackpot when they saw all my little 4 inch chairs up on the stand?
Off we went, just a few minutes before 8:00. We have a 20 minute drive so there was no time for traffic, or flat tires, or falling old men. Yep, that's right. As we were driving down the street an elderly man fell on his face on the sidewalk. I was so afraid that he was dead. We saw him fall and just lay still. We were driving the opposite way and Seth flipped a U-turn as car after car after car just whizzed past this man. Another man had actually flipped a U-turn as well and headed back to help. They got him up and oriented. He had a bracelet with his info on it. He was a resident at a nearby retirement home. Seth and this other man called the number on his wrist and waited with him for a nurse to come and get him. I had no idea how long we might wait. For a minute I thought, what happens if we don't get to church. My nerves went away for a minute. I knew we would make it. Seth needed to stop and help this man. That was what Heavenly Father needed him to do today.
I hesitated about posting that last paragraph because I don't want to "brag" about being charitable. Seth reminded me that it was not heroic to stop, it was tragic that so many others failed to stop. It really is.
After getting the man on his way home, Seth jumped in the car and by some miracle we were pulling in to the church with 5 minutes to spare. No one had stolen the chairs. The teachers had their copies of the program. We were ready. I watched the hands of the clock move like they were weighted. The announcements took forever. Then the Spanish announcements took forever. Then there was a confirmation. My nerves were jumping all over the chapel by then. They passed the sacrament in slow-mo and then finally it was our turn.
Last year, they turned the time over to us and the Primary kids rushed the stage. We drilled it into their heads this year that they were not to come up until I was seated and the music started. The piano started, the violas joined in and they all filed up to their seats. They did it. They listened. The program started. They came to the microphone perfectly when it was their turn. They sat reverently, or as reverently as 60 3-11 year old kids can sit. Only one little mop topped little angel fell off his chair. He looked so familiar but I am sure it couldn't have been my very own son?
AND THEY SANG! Oh my goodness, did they sing. They sang so beautifully. I was so proud of them. I can't think of very many places where I have felt the Spirit like I do during the Primary program.
And then it was over. One year's worth of work and anticipation and it was over. I remember being so sad when it was over last year but this time I am excited because we have a new theme next year and new songs and I just can't wait to do it again.
It is the best week of church all year, every year. After it is over so many kind people came to talk to me. They were all excited and complimentary. I heard words like "best Primary program ever", no matter that they said that last year, and will recycle it to say again next year. It was still fun to hear. It is so fun to get positive feedback but I sometimes feel bad because people give me more credit than I deserve. Don't feel too bad, I also get all the blame whenever anything goes wrong. But I think the record should show that I had so much help. The best Primary teachers I have ever seen. Emma leading music, who could have left us when they called her to teach seminary but didn't, and hopefully never will. Cara on piano who just got called and was so nervous but turned out to be just perfect. And Andra, Kris and Amy (the rest of the Presidency). They work so tirelessly and I am always amazed at how inspired they are with these kids. I remember being worried about working with other people and trusting other people to get things done, but I was sent the most remarkable women. So if you are in my ward, tell them good job too if you haven't already, but then make sure you yell at them next time you are mad at the Primary too. Hey, fair is fair.
Okay, this post was just supposed to say WE DID IT! but I got so excited and just rambled away. I am just so, so happy!
Second Week of School
3 years ago
11 comments:
(This is Sarah!)
Yea for program day! You have violas? WOW! I love when a program comes together and the kids do so well!
It was our program today too! It was the first time I have ever sat in the audience and watched.
And good for you for Seth!
Hooray! The program went off without a hitch. Your hard work definitely shined through today. Sorry we couldn't have been more involved with the practices, but thank goodness that my girls seemed to pick up on their parts pretty easily. Thanks for your dedication!
That is rad that everything went well. I wish I could see Al and Alyssa give their parts...or Al cracking off his chair for that matter!
Reading about the old man makes me so sad! Poor guy.
You are so funny to worry so much. The best part of the progam is all the funny little things kids do like falling off their chairs. It's a good thing that man had on a bracelet. I had two old women knock on my door one time who were lost and confused. My neighbor helped me out by calling the retirement homes near by, but they kept asking me to drive them places that they thought were home.
You don't get more credit than you deserve... you are the most amazing Primary President. I mean that.
Not only with the programs you have organized but also with the primary activity days... everything.
I know Abi is still shy with you most of the time but you have to know that when we were doing play group she LOVED the days we came to your house. She always asked what amazing thing she was going to do or make.
I think having you in there made it that much easier for her to get up yesterday. It wasn't easy for her but she does trust you even if she doesn't always show it. You have a gift with kids.
I sooo wish I could have come to see it!! I'm sure it was really awesome, and I would have loved it!! Congrats to you and everybody!
Julie, It sounds like it was a huge success. How could it not be? Just having little kids up there, singing there little hearts out...oh, I just love it. The mistakes are the best of all. I'm sure you are doing an AMAZING job! I'm so glad you got to be good samaritans and still arrive on time. Talk about stressful!
I honestly think that this year, as far as the singing went...it was the best yet. I actually could understand what they were saying, and they didnt trail off at the end of the verses because they didnt know them. It was all clear and great. They all sat as reverent as they could for little kids, and your speech made me tear up. Good job to everyone! I wish I would have seen Alex fall off the chair, but I missed that one. That just adds to the entertainment. Its great!
You did a great job!!!! I wouldn't plan on you ever being released!!! As long as you want me I won't leave! I love doing the music!!!!
Yay for a great Primary Program. We had ours last Sunday and it was great. The spirit is definitely there. Thanks for sharing!
Awesome job Julie!
Post a Comment