*This post is in no way intended to offend any of my many wonderful med student and resident friends. What you are doing is awesome! This post is all in good fun.
I had to go in to get my thyroid checked this morning. I hate to go to the doctor, especially at the office I go to because one check up turns into a 4 part series every time.
It is impossible to see the actual doctor. I don't know if he is a celebrity or what, but I usually have about 3 visits before they finally tell me that they don't know what they are doing and ask me to come back to see the doctor. Can I just see him up front please?
No, you have to see the PA first. Whatever!
I go in today expecting to see the PA and for some reason the door opens and a young man, I'm talking Doogie Howser young, walks in. He introduces himself, first name only. Which tells me he is not a doctor, probably not even a resident because don't they go by doctor?
I was a little uncomfortable. This kid truly looked 23 at the most. Now I know that I should play nice and let the young students get their practice in. How else will they become good doctors? But, I feel like someone more official should at least be in the room with him. I sat there thinking, I want this kid to go away now. Then I felt bad and thought, oh his mom must be so proud of him. Then I thought, I am OLD. I think of people in terms of how their mothers feel about them.
I stopped thinking and struggled through the appointment. He told me I needed blood work. I always need blood work. I wish they would let me do blood work before the appointment so that I could review it at the appointment. Wouldn't that be more efficient? He told me that when I came back to review my thyroid results he could do a physical. I declined. He offered again, and again. He said I hadn't had one since 2006. Alright fine then, I let the boy talk me into a physical. Awesome, I will set it up for right after the frat party.
We talked about my thyroid. Do you have this, or this or this symptom? No, no and no. It is all in my file. Do you notice any swelling in your neck. Yes, but it is actually a lot less pronounced than usual lately. He came over to look at my neck and then said all happy like, "Wow, this is the first thyroid I have seen where I can tell it is enlarged just looking at you." Lesson in bedside manner: One, don't tell someone, I have never seen this before. You sound like a novice and that scares the patient. And two: don't get excited to tell someone their goiter is showing. Looking like a bullfrog doesn't make me feel pretty. Plus, I had just told him that my neck was less swollen than usual. How must it usually look?
Oh well, no harm intended I'm sure.
I headed off to the check out desk. She asked if I would like my follow-up visit with the youngster or the PA. Ummm-the doctor please? No, oh okay, I didn't think I could but I thought I'd ask.
No worries, I'll just wait until visit four.
Second Week of School
3 years ago
10 comments:
Who is your doctor? That is crazy. I mean I think we are all used to the visit with the nurse for 20 minutes, doctor for 30 seconds but not seeing him at all- that's crazy.
I think you should find a new doctor.
And why do the call it a goiter? I hate that word. I was so mad when I found out I had a goiter. It makes me think of an old lady with a football growing off her neck. Can they think of a nice pretty word for it?
I have thyroid trouble too. so far all my growths are benign.
Boston is repeatedly asking me to say Alyssa over and over. I think he has a crush on her picture.
Oh dear. I stopped going to the doctors at the university after a med student had to do a gyno exam. Eek. On another note, my dr that diagnosed my Graves was so excited to have his first graves case. I remember thinking that I was glad some good could come put of my illness ;)
FYI--I work with PAs, and they are not offended if asked if they are a doctor or what. But then, they all go in and introduce themselves by name and say they are a PA. Think yours should also. And--you are well within your rights to ask to see someone else. You are paying (dearly) for this service. And--when you make the appointment, ask to be scheduled with the doctor, then explain that you only see the PA and would appreciate seeing the doc. You may just have to wait longer for that appointment. Also, ask if blood work can be scheduled before the appointment so it can be reviewed at that time. Finally, change doctors if you are not pleased. Does this sound like your mother-in-law the nurse speaking?? Maybe just because I am not afraid of docs--
Yes, I agree with my sister-in-law the nurse. One note in defense of PAs, however. There is one at the clinic we go to that Brent and I are seriously considering having become our "regular" healthcare professional. He can explain things in ways the docs never take time to explain. When I had my back surgery, however, that group of specialists is like yours. The first time I actually saw the surgeon was at 6 in the morning when I woke up to find him standing next to my hospital bed writing orders for me to go home. It was also the last time I ever saw him, too. Everything else was done through the PA. Specialists kind of have a way of doing that, I think - using PAs to do all the preliminary and follow-up. Especially those in high demand. Hmmm - wonder if they let them do the surgery, too, and just sign their name to the report?
Thats crazy! I dont think we have ever had that problem. I hope everything is okay with you!
So, when do you find anything out??
Cheryl, I go to St. Catherine's and hate it. My OB maintained my thyroid when I was pregnant and I wish I could go to him as my primary care physician. He was awesome.
Brittney, I almost typed how gross the word goiter is. It just sounds like a horrible disfigurement.
Ann, I am definitely going to ask to do blood work up front next time.
Julie, I don't hate PA's but so far no one can figure out my thyroid. Not even a doctor so it would be less frustrating if they would just let me start with him since he comes the closest to fixing it. I should probably go to an Endocrinologist instead, if I could find a good one.
Val, I don't go back for my next visit until the 22nd so the whole thing should be resolved in about 2015. I'm fine though. They will call me this week if anything is urgently out of whack.
Where in the world do you go to the doctor? It's funny, but also scary. Can you switch, or is this some kind of specialist that's hard to find?
That is seriously not right that they are refusing to let you see the doctor. They can't tell you that you can't see him, for crying out loud!! Put your foot down--I know you love being aggressive!
Post a Comment