CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Weigh-In Wednesday: Pizza

Alright, are you ready for another theme?

Our next new addition is Weigh-In Wednesday. Don't worry you do not have to post your weight.

I will post my opinion on something. Again, it will be anything I feel like posting. Maybe silly, maybe serious. After I post my opinion, you weigh in, in the form of a comment. As with our Tuesday theme, I do not promise to do this every week.

I am still trying to decide if this one sounds fun? We can all play nice, can't we? Alright then, let's try it.

And for today let's keep it light by talking about...

PIZZA.

I love pizza. Really, really love pizza. I could probably eat it for at least one meal every day. Everybody loves pizza though, right? So here is where the opinion part comes in.

I DO NOT like Chicago style pizza...at all! I was so excited for deep dish pizza when I moved here. I had visions of a big deep pan filled with thick heavenly crust. Apparently that is not what deep dish pizza is after all. The pan is nice and deep but they press a thin layer of crust into the bottom and then up the sides, like a pie crust. YUCK!

I quickly learned not to order Chicago style pizza, but the only other kind of pizza I can find here is even stranger. The crust is super thin. The toppings go almost all the way to the edges. No chewy outer ring. And then, this is where it gets really crazy...they ALWAYS cut the pizza in squares. A round pizza, cut into squares? Huh? So, you either get a completely crust free piece, or you get the weird edge piece that is crust only. I don't get it? When you think pizza don't you just picture a big triangular slice of yumminess, held onto by a thick chewy handle? I do.

So this is where you weigh in? What kind of pizza crust do you like?

Do you like Chicago/Wisconsin style pizza where the crust plays a supporting role? It is just there to hold the toppings. Or are you like me and prefer the crust to step up and be noticed. I love chewy, yummy, bread-like crust, and I like it cut into slices. New York kills Chicago in the pizza war, in my opinion.

Here are some of my favorites...My favorite pizza chain is Papa John's. Their crust is so good that I almost don't need toppings. The flavor is perfect. It is chewy and fluffy and soft. SO GOOD! I also love Pinas Pizza in Downey, CA even in spite of their unfortunate name. This pizza is so good that I will even take one for the team and shout out, "who wants Pinas?". Their crust is also perfect. And my last favorite is Frantones, also in Downey, CA. Their perimeter crust leaves something to be desired but the crust under the toppings is unmatched. You can peel off all the cheese and toppings and behold the yummy gooey brain like base. I love that.

I also loved all of the pizza I had in New York but since I was a missionary and only had pizza when someone bought it for me I can't tell you the names of any of the places. But they ALL do crust right in NY.

There you have it, that is how I like pizza. I was so excited about good pizza when we moved here. We have lots of Italians here and there is a pizza joint on every corner. I thought pizza would carry me through my constant Mexican food withdrawals but I am just not loving their style. Maybe thick chewy crust and triangle slices are Americanized pizza, I don't know. If that's the case then thanks for a beautiful idea Italy but we totally "one-up"ed you.

Your turn...how do you like your pizza?

*This post was inspired by my lunch today. We ran to Jelly Belly Factory to stock up on fruit snacks. The kids begged to ride the train. How many times until that gets old? Apparently 7,500,256. The line was so long. I convinced them to just eat in the Cafe instead and get their picture taken. As we ate our pizza, I pondered...and you are all the recipients of my pizza pondering.




Alright, now weigh in!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frantone's does have a brain quality to its dough! I totally agree, Chicago style pizza sucks! Nothing better than a thin slice of pepperoni (NY style) with plenty of cheese dripping off. Steven described it best..."Ninja Turtle style pizza."

Tony and Ann said...

Tony's grandparents were pretty much right off the boat and thru Ellis Island. Their pizza is oblong (made on a cookie sheet--not (horrors) in a round pan. The crust is pretty thin, homemade. Then, cut into (ta-da!!)squares!!!

Kory Jane said...

I have to agree with the whole big chewy crust deal. I am like a big crust cookie monster. When someone doesn't want that crust I am there to inhale it. I love pizza hut's pan crust. Who wouldn't like all that extra oil added in? Never had the Chicago style pizza as you described. But at some point I am willing to eat anything that is greasy.

Emily said...

Hawaiian all the way. Or cheese. But if I had to choose one pizza for the rest of my life I would choose Hawaiian. Who would think that Canadian Bacon and pineapple would be so delicious.

I don't have a favorite pizza place. Though Papa Murphys is nice because it is so cheap (especially with coupons :)) I do like th pizza at Sam's Club too because it is so cheap and yet so greasy.

Julie L said...

The very best pizza I have EVER had was in Chicago. It was at a bar (oops - pub) downtown under the "El" a few blocks (south?) of the big park on the lake, and I was hungry and the concierge recommended this place called Exchequers. I only ordered a small one because I was all alone, but it was so huge I took half of it back to the bellhops. And we're talking ME - I can consume very large amounts of things. Now that was in '07. Hopefully it's still there - the back part of the room was all family dining, which I've learned is typical outside of Utah. Before you totally condemn Chicago pizza, you've got to give that a try. I think it meets the description of what you envisioned. LOADED with soft melty cheese and toppings. Yummmm.

Katelin said...

I agree that Chicago Style is hardly even comparable to pizza, it's more like a casserole, but I actually like it. But it's still wrong to have to use a knife and fork to eat it. However, I'm with you on the NY crust--I never met a pizza there that I didn't like. And thin crust? Total garbage!

LeShel said...

I like this idea of weighing in. I much prefer it to the scale I stand on and walk away from with disappointment.

I TOO LOVE PIZZA. I found myself reading your post and nodding my head in agreement. I love the yummy chewy crust. It's all about the crust. I thought with certainty I would have happiness with pizza here and have not found magic. I also agree with the Mexican food. MISS IT BAD!!

My dream trip is to NY for so many reasons and now I will add.... good pizza.

Sounds like we need a Papa Murphy's pizza party!!

Susie said...

Just once I'd like to try Chicago style pizza when I'm out there. Everytime I mention it everyone tells me how bad it is but it's always on the Food Network of top ten pizzas. The BEST PIZZA is the Pie in Utah, bacon, chicken ranch pizza. I love that stuff.

bill said...

Julie,

Your taste in pizza is right on. Nothing better than that piece of chewey crust around the edge. As you know, I always get in trouble for eating only that part and leaving the middle part in the box, and everyone who doesn't eat the crust gives their's to me. I did not like Chicago pizza at all. Also, I think California style pizza (CPK) is way over rated. The best pizza I ever ate was at a small courtyard pizza/mexican food restaurant in Pacific Palasades. We were doing a project there and would go everyday for lunch. It sounds funny, but they made the best pizza and best burrito I've ever had. Sounds like heaven ...right?

Good blog,
Dad

Seth and Julie said...

Okay Ann confirms my theory that Americanized pizza is better than the authentic stuff. Squares? That throws off the pizza to crust ratio.

Kory, I love pizza hut pan crust but only if it is really hot, preferrably eaten while still in the Pizza Hut dining room. It doesn't reheat well but fresh it is both crispy and chewy and sinfully greasy. YUM!

Emily, I think you got caught skimming, and not reading the post because you never told us what kind of crust you like??? And don't tell Tony you put pineapple on your pizza.

Julie, maybe I will try Exchequers but I have tried all the super famous Chicago places and no love so far.

Mom, I like the Pie too.

Dad, I totally agree that CPK is overrated. I have never been a fan.

Heather said...

I agree with the Papa Johns pick. It is by far the best crust, sauce and everything. Thank goodness for 5 buck Tuesdays! I hate thin crust as well. If I have to settle for Papa Murpheys, it has to be garlic chicken. Yum. (But I can never get it because the kids have to have their pepperoni!)

Leshel-I thought you loved Rosatti's?

Sarah E. said...

Hmm, crusts...I am not a thin crust fan unless it's the super cheap Totinos from the freezer. I like a nice thick crust as long as there is equally enough toppings. There must be balance in these things. A medium crust to me is about perfect. Hard to find a good one though. I have liked the store bought crusts lately. I love to make my own pizza. zuchini, summer squash, red onion, (don't look Tony) pineapple, a few peppers, mushrooms, peperoni and lots of cheese. Do I hear pizza for dinner tonight? I agree though, it's too bad my kids don't like anything but cheese or maybe a little peperoni.

Cheryl said...

I like my homemade better than any other kind.... but I really like the pan kind at Pizza hut.
CAn't wait to try the famous pizza at Mystic Pizza in Mystic Connecticut here in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it is.

Jen said...

Yum! Pizza! Now I can eat it again without being miserable with heartburn all night. I am in complete agreement with you, Julie, on which kinds are the best. Not a fan of thin crust. Love deep dish best. I was very disappointed (read ticked off) when I discovered that we are too far for Papa John's to deliver to us out here. I even drove out there one day to pick up a PJ's pizza in my 2nd trimester when I was craving that specific brand of pizza. Mike knew better than to disagree with me at that point.

I have to say though that the best pizza I've ever had is Lido's in College Park, MD. It was featured on Oprah one time by her "friend" Gayle as her favorite from college at the U of MD. We happen to live about 2 minutes from the place, and it became a regular hangout for us to eat during our 2 years there. We even had friends from over 35 minutes away that would demand that we invite them whenever we'd go.