CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thursday Journal Jar

Was there a teacher who had a great influence on you or motivated you to be a better person? Describe them and what they taught you.

If we are talking about school teachers I hate to say it, but the answer is, not really.

But I did have one church teacher that will forever be my favorite. I am sure my mom, and probably my sisters already know who I am going to say...

Mary Lou Lang

Mary Lou was my teacher when I was a Mia Maid (14-16 years old). I will never forget her because she went beyond just showing up and teaching her lessons. She loved me and I knew it. I never really felt like I fit in in my ward (church group) growing up because my parents were divorced so I wasn't there every weekend. I know everyone's parents are divorced now but back then we stood out a little bit. Also, because of our ward boundaries, all the other kids I went to church with went to a different high school than I did. No one was ever mean to me, but I wasn't really friends with any of them either.

When I got Mary Lou for a teacher I was so excited because she was my friend at church. She would drive me home from Tuesday night activities and just let me ramble on about my silly high school life. She would stay after activities to watch me practice my routines for cheer try-outs, and then she brought me a card and a gift (a bunny in a cheerleader costume)when I finally made the team. She was always so thoughtful and she was also just fun to be with. Once she even dressed up like Master Splinter, the rat from Ninja Turtles, and danced in the talent show with us and we laughed so hard we were crying. Even now, when I am in Downey and I run into Mary Lou she hurries over to chat with me and tells everyone around that I was one of her "sweet Mia Maids". She made me feel special then and she still does now.

So, thanks Mary Lou! You are the BEST!!!

4 comments:

Tony and Ann said...

Since I'm in YW, your post has made me wonder if I'm leaving that kind of impression on "my girls". Hope so! And--is that Chloe in the monkey costume???

Sally said...

Wow, I need to be a better beehive teacher. I really did have some great young women leaders growing up. Sadly, I just remember my bad school teachers. My 3rd grade teacher was just down right awful, and my 6th grade teacher threw a piece of chalk at me.

Emily said...

I actually think most of my best teachers have been my spiritual teachers. What their teaching is more eternal. Now that I am teaching in primary I hope someday they look back and say "I may not have learned anything from her but I know she loved me!"

Brittney said...

So am I to assume you are from Downey Idaho? I never knew that, I thought there was only 4 people in the whole town and that there was no way I would ever know a second person from there.