CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Emily's Thursday Journal Jar




So, my sister in law Emily started posting a journal jar question and answer on her blog every Thursday. I thought this was a cute idea because I love learning new things about people so I suggested that she send out the question to us every Thursday and we would all answer it. My ulterior motive was to get our blog slackers to start posting again...you know who you are. So, on to this weeks question...

Family Traditions: What are your favorite childhood traditions? What are your traditions with your family now?

As a child....

my summer trips with my grandparents whether it was Yosemite, Balboa Beach, St. George. It didn't matter. They were my heroes and I just loved to be near them.

Waxie donuts for Christmas breakfast

Sleeping in the same room with my brothers and sisters on Christmas Eve

I don't know if we had a lot of traditions but we did have a lot of fun. I still think my brothers and sisters are the most fun people on earth to be with. Seth says it is unnatural to be as obsessed with your siblings as I am but they have been my best friends my whole life. I wish we were playing a board game right now, or going on a cookie pie run, or walking around Balboa Island, or even just in the same State would be good.

As for my current family traditions...

picking apples in the fall which I explained at length in my last post

Wisconsin Dairy Breakfast in summer (served in a barn at a local farm)

Wisconsin Dells in the spring which is to my kids what Balboa Beach was to me as a child

Girls weekend with all the girls on Seth's side of the family

Christmas card pictures in front of the Christmas tree in jammies each year

And this one may be my favorite....when Seth and I were dating we bought a Christmas ornament together on our first Christmas. We have bought a new one every year. I know this is not original but here is where it gets cute. We started out with just that one ornament, and the next year we had 2 ornaments. We only add our family ornaments to the tree each year so we still have only 12 ornaments on our tree. We may not win any decorating awards and I doubt our tree will be featured in any magazines but it is beautiful to me. I love our ornaments because each one symbolizes one more amazing year that we were blessed to be a family.

And that is all the cheese I have for you today.

5 comments:

Emily said...

GIRLS WEEKEND! That is a good tradition that I forgot!

I love all of your traditions. What I love most is that it strengthens the bonds of family.

Emily said...

I think the rest of the people will get on the band wagon. Dad maybe not, I am not sure. I am going to keep sending out questions every week though! I loved reading your post and moms so It has been worth it so far.

Anonymous said...

Dude, now you got me thinking about a board game (in the David M. voice). I like the pic of waxies by the way.

Kory Jane said...

Thanks for the idea, I also did this on my page.

Melissa and Brandon said...

What about Christmas Eve. with your Dad's side of the family. Pizza at Grandma Kings, opening presents with all of us. The yummy cookies that my Mom makes every year.
.....or when we would rent the same movies every weekend when you guys would come over, Princess Bride, Top Secret, and Clue. Your Dad would take us to the store and buy us Waxies and Flakey flicks.
......or our beach house we would get during summer on Balboa Island.

I always had so much fun. These are good memories for me.