CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fun in Spades at Stade's

There is hardly time to even do anything blog worthy lately, let alone time to blog about it. We have been swamped up to our eyeballs since September. I think my plate is now officially full but I have thought that before and then had to figure out how to smoosh the side dishes in to the main dish to make room for one more thing so who knows?

Two weekends ago we finally had a free Saturday, or at least half free. After Seth went to help with an Eagle Scout project in the morning we were excited to spend the rest of the day as a family. One of the Tae Kwon Do moms had told me about a fun pumpkin patch called Stade's in McHenry, IL, about an hour from us. The weather report suggested a 20% chance of rain but we figured that was low enough that we would risk it. The rain started as soon as we got in the car and by the time we got there it was a downpour and the whole place was mudville. Since we had driven all that way, we did run in long enough to grab hot apple cider donuts and then got back on the road. Since we were already so far west, I suggested that we shoot over to Lake Geneva and eat lunch at Sprechers so the day wouldn't feel like a complete loss. About 30 minutes later we pulled in to Sprechers to find that it was closed for renovations. We cracked up! Apparently the stars had aligned against us and family fun was not in the cards.

The kids were good sports about all of our plans falling apart so I promised we would try again the next weekend. We had the next Friday off of school, but IL students did not so I thought we would beat the crowds and go back to the pumpkin patch that day. My friend said that when she went there were thousands of people there and fields full of cars. We had the place entirely to ourselves until after school hours and even then only a few other families showed up. It could have been because we had temps in the 30's and winds at 25 mph?

I haven't had any reason to take the camera out lately so I got excited and took 230 pictures. There were so many things to do at this place and you just paid $8 per person to get in and then you could have unlimited use of everything there. The local pumpkin patch charges $3 to jump on the bouncy pillow for 5 minutes, another $5 for the corn maze, and so on. I thought the flat fee was a great deal and the kids had so much fun. We stayed for 5 hours and could have stayed longer but we could not feel our fingers or noses anymore.

I have narrowed down the pictures as much as I could but when you only post once or twice a month I think you are allowed to use excessive amounts of pictures.

Jump Pillow
 photo 006_zpsf79b9ccd.jpg 
Silly ride that Alex and Alyssa were too tall for but since no one was there, they said they could ride. Alyssa still opted out.
 photo 016_zps81731ece.jpg
 photo 017_zps7287abbf.jpg 
Hill slides
 photo 020_zpsc729dfca.jpg
 photo 022_zps48617e96.jpg
 photo 028_zps44393c7d.jpg
 photo 033_zpsca18882f.jpg
 photo 035_zps1de60b34.jpg 
Covered corn pits
 photo 037_zps2cf2ea86.jpg
 photo 040_zpsf3bdc678.jpg
 photo 043_zpsedd7866e.jpg
 photo 046_zps062e6aea.jpg
 photo 062_zpsed77c395.jpg 
There was a maze inside a string of cattle cars which should have specified that it was for children only because I ended up belly crawling through parts of it.
 photo 070_zps5b7815d0.jpg 
Duck races
 photo 071_zps9d04aa48.jpg
 photo 074_zpse219c100.jpg
 photo 075_1_zpsa003826a.jpg
 photo 078_zpsaf74f72b.jpg 
These horses were bouncy and unstable and basically just hilarious.
 photo 086_zps23d05644.jpg
 photo 092_zps4b859c7a.jpg
 photo 095_zpsa0c8a95f.jpg
 photo 096_zps6cbfa21a.jpg
 photo 101_zps97751d26.jpg
 photo 103_zps9dd186a1.jpg
 photo 104_zps3b64a6ea.jpg
 photo 109_zps571033d4.jpg
 photo 110_zps2e82427a.jpg
 photo 111_zpsda855176.jpg 
Barrel train ride
 photo 112_zps5b480ff0.jpg
 photo 115_zps3e3318fb.jpg
 photo 116_zpscc89593b.jpg 
All to ourselves
 photo 118_zps2f04a045.jpg 
The rope maze timed how long you took to punch a series of buttons in the maze.
 photo 121_zpsb41b47aa.jpg 
I am a little bit afraid of corn mazes but the attendant assured me that I would not get stuck in there forever so we went for it. Thankfully Alex and Alyssa are directionally gifted and could tell where they were at all times. It all looked the same to me.
 photo 123_zps9175b31d.jpg
 photo 126_zps980e020a.jpg 
If you found the answers to 16 different questions in the maze you got a free pumpkin. Here we are finding the answer to #14, our final one. We got 4 free pumpkins.
 photo 127_zps154768ac.jpg
 photo 131_zps68b60637.jpg
 photo 129_zps41c0cd2d.jpg 
The girls jumped right in to feed the goats.
 photo 139_zps8b727eda.jpg 
Alex did not want to touch them so he used the food ramp to send food up to the goat bridge.
 photo 140_zps6e4bea09.jpg
 photo 143_zpse6ea72ed.jpg
 photo 146_zpscab51eec.jpg
 photo 149_zpsc79c9411.jpg
 photo 150_zps84d5a3fe.jpg 
Sorry fellows, we're out of food.
 photo 154_zps02f0f55e.jpg
 photo 156_zps6863e90d.jpg
 photo 157_zps5b7b7de7.jpg
 photo 158_zpsb201b826.jpg 
Shooting the corn cannons. The blur coming out of Alyssa's cannon is her corn. Chloe gave up after a few shots but Alex and Alyssa managed to hit several targets.
 photo 161_zps2b3c9ca0.jpg
 photo 165_zps76839aa5.jpg
 photo 167_zpsf961fad3.jpg
 photo 169_zpsdc53e4d3.jpg 
We got hot cider and donuts and then sat by the pumpkin cannon...they are supposed to shoot pumpkins every hour on the hour but did not. I am guessing it wasn't crowded enough. 
 photo 171_zps3eda7477.jpg
 photo 173_zps4af14cc9.jpg
 photo 187_zps5eccc624.jpg
 photo 175_zpse2694276.jpg
 photo 205_zpsfa2d8253.jpg 
After we hit every exhibit many times, we jumped on the wagon and took a ride out to the pumpkin patch. The ride was included with our admission but pumpkins were $5 a piece, any size.

 photo 214_zpsbaf9e690.jpg 
This is just a tiny slice of the patch. It went on forever in all directions. 
 photo 215_zpsce3c75f0.jpg
 photo 217_zpsf2de6965.jpg
 photo 218_zpsfa66ce29.jpg
 photo 219_zps2e8c613f.jpg
 photo 220_zps961d5d97.jpg
 photo 222_zps7941b128.jpg
 photo 224_zps97dc3622.jpg
 photo 226_zps4d973d3c.jpg
 photo 229_zpsed420f93.jpg
 photo 230_zps7b1fbac9.jpg

By the time we left we were very chilly and very ready to go. Time to get out the hats and gloves, I guess. But, we had so much fun and I was so excited to find a new pumpkin patch to add to the rotation. As we left I saw another pumpkin patch just down the street that boasted the World's Largest Corn Maze so I looked it up when I got home and it looks like fun too, corn maze, zip lines, pig races, giant hamster ball that they strap you in to and roll you down the hill. The kids are still too short/light for some of the attractions there but I am adding it to my list of places to visit in the future as well.

And now we have Trunk or Treat on Friday and for the first time ever I totally forgot. I usually have costumes planned and ordered and organized 2 months early. It is the only thing in my life that I am usually on top of but this year I blew it. We finally went out to costume shop yesterday and came up empty so it looks like we are reusing, recycling and repurposing this year.

8 comments:

Tony and Ann said...

How I miss those kids!! It's great to see the pictures, glad you posted them. But it still makes me sad--that you guys are there,and I'm here!
It looks like they had a great time!

LeShel said...

that place looks awesome and can't believe how cheap!

Unknown said...

So where is the rest of the pictures? LOL that you took 230. I agree with you on that one pictures are either all or nada! Love all the activities esp that you crawled through the maze. The giant corn house looks fun and so does having the place to your selves! 20% chance sounded really low! BUT looks like it was a success even on the 2nd attempt.

No costumes yet! Hope you find something great. I saw on pinterest 50 shades of grey using paint samples from the hardware stores--it made me laugh but may be inappropriate for kids!

Jen said...

Wow, what doesn't that place have? By the time I got to the pictures of the horse raises, I thought, "holy buckets! That place has everything!" and even better that you had it all to yourselves. The kids look so gleeful despite how cold they must have been. I'm beginning to think Illinois is having a pumpkin patch war where all those new places keep popping up and trying to outdo all the others. Now if only we could convince someone in SD to open one and offer just half of those activities. I'm telling you it would be a gold mine here just like my idea of opening a huge indoor waterpark near us.

Julie L said...

Great to see all the photos! In fact, if you scroll down fast enough, it's almost like watching a movie through some of them (the bouncing horses, specifically). Chloe's pose on the pumpkin! What a card! Looks like a really fun day. And lucky you to have the place to yourselves! Even if it was cold. Kids are tough!

Holly said...

That place looks fabulous! I'm sad there isn't time to go this year. I will definitely be checking it out next year!!

Cheryl said...

That place looks great.

Emily said...

Holy cow I want to go there!