CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 30, 2013

Creativity Camp

About 4 or 5 years ago I had the idea to host a Creativity Camp once a week in the summer. Not just art, but anything creative. I was going to recruit other moms and we would each take turns hosting a project but every year would come and go and it sounded like more planning and organization than I could handle in the summer so it always got put on my good ideas that I never carried out shelf.  This year I decided that my kids will not be young enough to be interested in something like this for many more summers but it still sounded like a lot of planning and stress so I decided to just do it on our own, with no advance planning and on any day when the mood struck us. We ended up doing 10 different projects, some that I planned and others that the kids chose. You already saw our tie dye, Jelly Belly art and the cakes we decorated for Bernie's birthday. You will not get to see our coloring contest because we chose giant pages and never finished them, but here are the remaining 6 projects.

Candy Factory
My brother Jeff and I used to pretend to be inventors when we were kids and we would come up with new gadgets and foods and then draw pictures of them and present them to our fake company. Lots of our ideas were new candies so I decided to have the kids not just draw pictures but make a real life pretend candy factory. This is what they invented.
 photo 127_zps8a9cbbbd.jpg 
Alyssa, back when her hair was still long. She mostly just dipped stuff in chocolate and she called her dipped Hot Tamales, Hot Chocolates. 
 photo 133_zpsc0a650cf.jpg 
We made a candy bar pie, cut up a variety of candy bars and put them in a pie crust and baked them at 350 until the crust is done. It was very rich and pretty tasty.
 photo 130_zpsa15b9ac2.jpg 
Chloe put watermelon wedges in peach rings and all kinds of other combos but her grand invention was the skittle filled gumball, or as it shall hereafter be known, the Skumball. 
 photo 134_zps96a52802.jpg 
Candy Medal
 photo 136_zpsd86ebd8d.jpg 
Candy glasses from Alex as well as sushi rolls and a triple decker dipped Twix. 
 photo 137_zps6f1e2d29.jpg 
My friend, Cheryl posted about making homemade rock candy and I decided that would be a perfect addition to this activity.
 photo 141_zpse03fafa9.jpg 
The blue one did not turn out because we were low on sugar by the time we got to it but the other two worked.
 photo 20130705_105647_zpsfe9277fe.jpeg
Duct Tape Bags
Since duct tape is incredibly popular we found a fun variety of tapes and then I was too lazy to google any duct tape projects but I have seen people with duct tape bags before so we went with that. We just taped two pieces together and used them for a handle and then taped around and around a 2 gallon Ziploc bag until we had bags. They are actually quite durable and we made them big so that we could use them for library books and they hold a stack of books quite nicely.
 photo 001_zpsac4a739b.jpg
 photo 002_zps121724e1.jpg
 photo 003_zps276b9bdc.jpg
 photo 006_zps7a822eb3.jpg

Shaving Cream Art
This one was actually the kids idea. It was something fun that each of them had done in preschool. I never did this in preschool so I was like a kid in a, well, preschool I guess. This was so much fun!

Put shaving cream in a pan and swirl food coloring around in it. We got the traditional and neon colors. 
 photo 005_zps205fc2eb.jpg 
Press the paper in to the mess
 photo 006_zps4430a8e0.jpg 
Peel back
 photo 010_zps22a60a73.jpg 
Scrape
 photo 012_zpse55514c8.jpg 
Voila!
 photo 014_zps7842e425.jpg
 photo 017_zps5d3ae10b.jpg
 photo 020_zpsf57364ba.jpg 
After Chloe made her first one she quickly had buyers remorse and wanted to do a Packers one. She actually ended up making several marbled pages. 
 photo 021_zps3d17e299.jpg 
Alex was using the colors of Mike and Sulley from Monsters.He used a fork instead of a skewer to mix his colors and got a much more marbled effect.
 photo 025_zps9dce007d.jpg
 photo 027_zpsd43f8218.jpg
 photo 031_zps19e5c0bc.jpg 
We saw the idea on Pinterest to add a picture to the background. We used watercolor paper to keep the food coloring vibrant but our black paint did not want to stick to the paper. They had to dab it on a dot at a time. I used a Sharpie on the Packers one.
 photo 043_zps88bed1b8.jpg
Iron Chef
Seth and I were recently invited on an Iron Chef group date, where we were going to be given a secret ingredient and then see which couple came up with the best dish. It ended up getting canceled but I thought I would borrow the idea and use it for Creativity Camp. The secret ingredient was Crescent Dough.

Chloe made Churros (recipe online) with half of her dough and the other half she stuffed with Nutella and caramel candies and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. We have had them with Nutella before but she added the caramel so I suppose she semi-invented this recipe. 
 photo 033_zps6c580dff.jpg
 photo 034_zps2ebf473f.jpg 


 photo 037_zps1479be75.jpg 
Alyssa made banana cream pies, which she did not find online, but in her head.
 photo 040_zps8c8eb9d9.jpg
 photo 041_zps7451f520.jpg 
Alex made Strawberry Shortcake, recipe found online.
 photo 048_zps43c00b28.jpg
 photo 049_zpsb140c20f.jpg
 photo 050_zpse17c22fc.jpg
 photo 051_zps3c2b6bb8.jpg 
And since they were supposed to be in charge of dinner and they all made dessert, I threw together a chicken and spinach ring with the leftover dough.
 photo 036_zps3ef38da8.jpg
Piggy Banks
Seth had 6 large empty plastic peanut jars left after he made trail mix for The Boundary Waters trip. I decided to use them. It took days to get the label and glue off so A+ for whoever is in charge of adhering those labels. I tried soap and water, goo gone, WD40, vinegar, and do you know what worked? Peanut Butter! I smeared the glue with PB and let it sit for an hour and it wiped right off. We used 3 of the jars to make piggy banks and the other 3 were supposed to be turned in to baskets but right now they are still just empty peanut jars.
 photo 018_zps8c0f18f5.jpg
 photo 016_zps0795473d.jpg
 photo 019_zps09df9b63.jpg
Melted Crayon Art
If you have ever been online then I am guessing you have seen this project. Glue crayons to canvas and blow dry them until they melt. Since I had seen it so many times I didn't think I needed to read instructions so I set the kids to work gluing crayons. Once everything was glued down I decided to look for some tips for blow drying and only then did I notice that people glued all the reds together, blues together, etc because apparently the blow dryer does not blow straight lines so the colors blend and you will end up with a big brown mess if you are not careful about which colors are next to each other. Hmm! What to do? Well Seth and the kids thought I had lost my mind but I felt pretty brilliant when I started putting 16x20 crayon covered pieces of canvas in my oven. And guess who was right? Me, of course! I stood them up, propped against a large stock pot on the bottom of my oven, covered in tin foil, and set the temp at 250 and the crayons melted in straight pretty lines in about 5-7 minutes. After each one was done I turned off the oven, wiped out any melted crayon and cleaned the stock pot because it got pretty covered in wax each time. Well, when I got to the 4th one I decided that I could just throw it in without turning off the oven, cleaning the pot, etc and that was a bad idea! Our whole house was filled with smoke so if you do this project, do not be lazy. Stop and restart with each new piece.

Here are our finished projects.
 photo 001_zps87834739.jpg 
My friend Cheryl did an art project where she melted the tip of a crayon in a candle and then made a picture with melted wax dots dripped off of the crayon. I thought we could just combine that project with this one so we put contact paper on our canvas to create blank space where we could do dot art. My crayons leaked under the contact paper so my logo is a bit messy but still pretty cool, I think. The problem was, that it took a long time to do the G and the kids decided they did not want to do the melted crayon drips so we did have to improvise on their pieces. 

 photo 006_zpsfc6e5028.jpg 
Alex used a contact paper triangle on his and none of the crayon drip past it so he ended up with a huge blank space that looked like a house and he was super excited because he said he knew just what to do with it. He was right. It looks awesome!
 photo 008_zpscae38282.jpg 
When Alyssa saw that the contact paper was not working as we had hoped she decided that she just wanted melted crayons all the way down her canvas.
 photo 009_zpsb83644b9.jpg 
Chloe painted her name and some flowers in her open space.
 photo 013_zps3ca4d1ee.jpg 
Since they were sitting at an angle against the pot the tops melted and made the top of the canvas pretty too.
 photo 011_zpsa1bf9b87.jpg 

For our final project I offered to take the kids to paint pottery but they didn't feel like it on the day that I had designated so oh well, I saved the money and we do not have any additional pottery items cluttering up the place.

We had such a great time with each of our projects. I am sure it would have been fun to try to do this with a big group but it was much more laid back this way and I spent the time with my kids rather than worrying about whether or not everything was perfect. We had lots of other projects in mind and hoped to also have Chloe teach us ballet, Lyssa teach us skating and Alex teach us TKD but the summer ended up being super busy so those things will have to go on the list of things we still hope to do together.

7 comments:

Julie L said...

Hot chocolates and skumballs- what a riot! You can tell how creative I am not to never have thought about doing something like this with my crew. But I'm not afraid to steal ideas - must do with the grandkids! I am so impressed with what your guys come up with when given free reign. Such a great way to help them explore beyond the box!

Katie and Mark said...

That's amazing. I am like the "Anti-craft." LOL I should do better. I bet my kids would love all these. :)

Cheryl said...

This is awesome.
I have thought about doing the crayon art but haven't. I like the way yours turned out with the colors not grouped together.
I have done shaving cream painting in preschools and daycare back when I worked in them but I have never seen it done like that. Those turned out really cool.
The duct tape bags are very clever.

Unknown said...

I've never seen the melting crayon trick. I love the candy making creatives and the shaving cream art looks fun, it supposedly cleans off your table really well-so next time do it right on the table! Not so sure how a wood table would hold up tho. I'm impressed by the baking. Once again you always amaze me. Why didn't I think of that this summer!! Maybe I can next year when my little is a little bigger.

Val said...

These are all so rad...I want to do the iron chef thing soon!!

Val said...

These are all so rad...I want to do the iron chef thing soon!!

Jen said...

All I can think is my rad is spinning thinking of all that went into planning and implementing this. I so need to do something like this though with my girls because a lot of that could be used for their fair exhibits.