CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Dancing Debut

After the Dairy Breakfast on Saturday, Seth had to pick up some furniture for Alyssa's new room which I will show you when it is done. That meant I had to get her out of the house because her new room is a birthday surprise. That put us way behind schedule and by the time I bathed muddy little dairy babies and myself it was already 1:30 which was not good because Chloe was supposed to be one hour early for her 2:30 ballet recital and we still had hair to dry and a costume to put on. I started to rush but for some reason her hair did not want to go in to a bun for me. Crazy, because she is required to wear it in a bun every week for class and I never have any trouble. I usually do it 20 seconds before she walks in to class but that day it was not working for me. So, cue panic attack. My hands started to shake, I started to sweat and my heart went in to overdrive. Not logical and not helpful but sometimes these things happen to me. I finally managed to get her hair up and we hurried over to the recital. We got there 10 minutes before show time and one thing I learned is that having them come an hour early is totally unnecessary because they just sat in their seats and waited for the show to start. It just gave them more time to mess up their hair so in the future I think I will always be 50 minutes late.

I would love to show you video footage of the recital but they don't allow you to record it so that they can get you to buy it from them. I did record dress rehearsal but ever since I got an HD camera I can never get a video to load here. Plus, she did much better on show day than at the rehearsal. At rehearsal she looked at the girl next to her the whole time and there is one 8 count she just kept refusing to do but that she always did at home so we worked on it the night before the show and now she has it mastered. She shows it to me 50 times a day with her eyes closed even and doesn't seem to understand that the show is over and she can stop practicing that move.

The show was quite long and a bit dry overall. Too much ballet! They don't allow students to take other styles until they are 7 but the other styles are so much more fun to watch. Ballet is gorgeous, just not as exciting.

Chloe makes a lovely little ballerina though. She is talking about switching to gymnastics next year but I hope not because she is so poised and pretty when she dances. She goofs around a lot and doesn't take anything seriously at age 5 but I think she may just turn out to be a good little dancer and I want her to stick with it until she can take Jazz because she loves up tempo music and booty shaking. She dances around the house all day long so I think she will really love dance when she can take other styles. Her regular classes are over for the summer but she is enrolled in Princess Dance Camp with her best friend, Kayleigh and she is so excited for that to start.

Anyhow, here she is on show day! And do you think she was nervous? I asked her if she had butterflies and she said no. I asked if her heart was pounding and she said no while looking at me like I was a nutter. I asked if she was nervous and she said What's nervous? She is all confidence, this one. She was made for the stage.
 photo 008_zps40f75336.jpg 
 photo 011_zpsfee9e376.jpg 
In the balcony after the show, in front of the stage which you can't really see in the dark. About 15 seconds after I picked her up, her bun plummeted from her head so I am very relieved that it at least held on long enough for her to dance.
 photo 012_zps5f4c416a.jpg 
Chloe's official recital pictures were taken while we were in Cancun so grandma took her. The studio is very picky about what the kids wear and how they do their hair so in an effort to make this easy on grandma I asked ahead of time how they wanted her hair and make-up. In class they require a high bun but when I asked if it was the same for the show they told me "on the top of the head" with the tiara around the bun so that is what I instructed Ann to do. When she got there she was chastised and told that it should be a high bun but not on top of the head. Lots of the girls wear low buns so they told me they wanted to make sure it was high but they should not have said top of the head unless they meant top of the head. Sorry Ann! Don't worry, they chastised me too at dress rehearsal because they wanted it slicked back and in a hair net. I think that is why I panicked on show day. I did not have a hair net and since she was fresh out of the shower her curly hair did not care how much gel and hairspray I used in my slick back attempts, especially since the rain had left the air so humid. It kept poofing up again. So my bun was too frizzy and grandma's bun was more Disney Princess than ballerina but I take full responsibility for both goofs and I think she was pretty no matter how we did her hair. I do have four 5x7 pics (2 of each pose) for grandparents. Grandma Ann, I will give you first dibs on which pose you like best and thank you SO much for getting her ready and getting her down there so that we could have these cute keepsakes.
 photo chloeballet_NEW_zps6ef616a1.jpg

 photo chloeballet2_zpsfbf804c0.jpg 
Thankfully both me and my children have a good sense of humor about my occasional bouts of craziness so when we were shopping on Monday and they found "hot buns" in the store they insisted that I take it home with me. I promise I was not mean to them in my frustration about the bun, but I still hate when they see me overreact to things that really don't matter. 
 photo 074_zpsfdabaec9.jpg 
Even my hot buns bun is a bit saggy but that is because Alyssa choked on a Werther's candy while I was putting this in Chloe's hair and I had to go in to Heimlich mode so by the time I returned to the bun my hands were once again quite shaky.
 photo 070_zps0a09ee3f.jpg

And there is my beautiful ballerina in her dancing debut.

4 comments:

Katie and Mark said...

Hello!!! Can we say hair Nazi's?? They sound crazy! I guess most studios are like that, but I wouldn't know b/c I've never enrolled Brooklynne. LOL Chloe does look beautiful-it doesn't matter where that bun is! :) I do love me some hot buns though.

Btw, I hate running late. H.A.T.E. it. It's only of the only things that really gives me anxiety. Like a deep physical reaction within me that I can hardly control (Don't worry. I'm working in that).

Cheryl said...

Hahha. Hair nazi. I was thinking the same thing.

Chloe looked absolutely beautiful.

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie L said...

I love the ballerina! She's absolutely adorable top-of-the-head bun, high-bun, whatever! Seriously takes the fun out of things, however, to be so crazy about exactly where the bun ends up.

(There are programs you can download for not a lot of money that will translate your HD video into web friendly video. I still struggle with that, so I too have a tendency to just leave them in the original version and so you never get to see them, either. Maybe we can figure it out together.)