CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 8, 2013

Let's Play Catch Up

I truly have NO desire to blog lately. I fully intended to retire the blog at the end of 2012 but the kids love to lay around and read our printed blogs, or as they call them, our family books. I have been kind of bored with blogging for about a year now, and I think it shows in my posts. I really think my love for the hobby has run it's course but for the sake of keeping a journal I am trying to force myself to keep going, and who knows, I may even get excited about it again?

 So before I run off to ballet, let's play catch up.

I guess the only good thing about winter right now is that I haven't done much or taken many pictures so I don't feel like I am that far behind.

So let's start with the few recent pictures I have.

We have had lots of snow and TWO snow days in the past two weeks. I didn't take pictures either time, but let's pretend I did by looking at some other snow pics from before the big stuff fell. 
 Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket 
Photobucket 
Bernie LOVES the snow! Sorry he looks like a scumbag. He has had a haircut since this picture and is about due for another one.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The kids did get gifts for Valentine's Day. Do you do gifts or just candy for Valentine's? I think maybe I am celebrating the holiday wrong?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Alyssa wore her new dress to the school Valentine's Dance which she attended with her best friend, Quinn.
Photobucket
Alex definitely got my course, frizzy hair. It grows straight up in the air like a helmet.  I had to capture his bedhead one day.
Photobucket
And Chloe was star of the week at school.
Photobucket
I guess those are all the pictures I have taken recently.

Other than that we have just been plugging away at Super in Six. We are kicking it in the butt! I have a perfect score every day so far. Of course I am a perfectionist so if I leave points unclaimed I feel like I failed. If other people take a few hits through the week I am totally understanding of that but I am all or nothing and so that just doesn't fit my personality. Maybe my whole life should be run on a point system. I would have a cleaner house, be a better mom, yeah, I better make myself some stat sheets. Ha, ha! Anyway, Seth is killing it too! He has missed a couple points (only 9) but is still the overall point leader because he lost 12 pounds in the first 2 weeks for an added 120 points! I have lost 4 pounds and only wanted to lose 6 total so I am happy with where I am at, too. It is not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I never think about calories or treats because I am so busy making sure I get all my points. We have eaten yummy dinners every night too and I am very proud of myself for upping the nutritional value of our foods. The kids have even enjoyed our meals and haven't felt deprived. I still hate the no food after 8 thing, and don't love drinking so much water, but I hope that many of the changes we have made will remain in our home, even after the challenge is over, on a more moderate and less regimented scale of course.

And on a quick churchy note...a couple weeks ago Alex was drawing a picture in church. After awhile I noticed that he had turned the paper over and was writing. He had found a diagram of the plan of salvation (a worksheet from my lesson last month). Under the diagram there were blank lines so the girls could take notes on each part of the plan. There were no instructions, just a picture and some blank lines but he was busily writing. I had to peek over his shoulder to sneak a read. I should have waited until the close of the meeting because I may have laughed out loud, but I thought it was so cute that I really must share it, exactly as he wrote it...

He send us to Erth so we could have a body. And He loves us. And his name is God. And he send his son Jesus Christ and Jesus died on the cross for us so we can live with him some day. After he died after three days he came back to life. Why we live on Erth is because God knew it was the right planet. It is not to hot or too cold. We came to learn to come to church and choose the right.

Isn't that so cute? It got me thinking about how unique each of my children are, with totally different spiritual gifts. Alex has lots of love for the gospel and is very sensitive to the Spirit. We were watching a documentary about Jesus Christ once and apparently it didn't feel right to him, because he told us he didn't want to watch the show, "because they are talking disrespectfully about Jesus Christ".

Alyssa is some kind of scripture whiz. We only read 10 verses a night with the kids but afterwards she can always recap what we read in plain English. When teachers used to have me read and then asked what I read, I never had any idea, neither do most of the kids I have taught through the years, even ones who are much older than she is. Understanding the scriptures is a huge gift.

And Chloe, well I think she is like Seth, and her gift will be with people. She is good at fellowshipping others and is a born leader.

I am so grateful for these three different, but equally valuable spirits in my home and I pray that all three of them use their gifts well.

And I guess that is all I have, which is just as well, because it is time for ballet.


7 comments:

Tony and Ann said...

I hope you don't give the blog up. I have missed feeling part of your lives these last few weeks. Hearing about the kids, seeing the pictures, just makes it a bit easier for me to be so far from you guys. I bet Susie feels the same way. And what a great gift your family books are. They will be cherished for years--and the kids will probably fight over who gets to keep them once they are grown!

Sally said...

I have been feeling the same way about blogging and have been forcing myself to do it for the last several months. Not very well though. And we sure do not celebrate V-Day the same way you do. My kids were lucky they got heart shaped pancakes for breakfast and that was it. And I might have to dissagree with Alex just a little because right now it is a little too cold. It is really cute what kids come up with sometimes though.

Julie L said...

I've been thinking to myself, what's going on with Julie? Haven't heard from her for a while. But totally understand because I go through "hobbies" like most people go through dirty socks. I keep hoping some of my hobbies will carry me through rest home years, but who knows? I love your blog and love your writing which is amazingly full of whit and humor and touches to the heart. I love the testimony that shines through and the way you share your challenges and your sweet successes.

That said, nobody should feel trapped into doing something they no longer feel like doing if it's something that isn't critically important in the long scheme of things. There are other ways to document your life year to year. Other ways to keep a journal. I have one friend who has just started blogging once a month with a recap of what's happened during the month. But I miss the day to day discussions that used to occur.

Picture blogs, like mine has become, don't elicit much in the way of emotion. They share experiences but they do not share feelings. I've loved the way your blog shares feelings. I learn from the way you tackle issues and tenaciously fight to come at grips with your feelings about things. I think that's why your blog has been so inspirational.

...I am rambling. Sorry. Just wanted you to know how I feel about your blog.

This was a fun post. I'm still waiting to get a list of your terrific physical challenge. The more I hear about it the more I like the sounds of it. And Alex's comments on the paper definitely confirms the fact that you and Seth are doing a ton of right things in your home. It's fun to hear about the different strengths each of the kids have - what great observations and love.

Jen said...

I'm feeling the same way as you, dear. Blogging just isn't doing it for me anymore. Really it's the Internet as a whole. That's why I'm trying to get motivated to be crafty again. Plus, the winter doesn't provide many photo-worthy opportunities. Oh look, my kids in the snow again...haha. I think it's great that your kids are all spiritual in their own ways. Annie is definitely passionate about her place in the gospel and wants to convert all her friends. Mimi is already rebelling and seeming intrigued by the ways of the world. She's very curious about the Word of Wisdom and asks if our non-Mormon friends drink, smoke, invest coffee, etc. Ugh...she's going to be a tough one to crack.

Holly said...

I haven't blogged in awhile either, but just did today. It's been several months for me. Blogging isn't as exciting as it used to be, but the main reason this time was a crisis with figuring out how to add pictures since blogger told me I used all my free space. Something about paying the minuscule fee bugged me, so I just stopped. The fall was too busy for me to figure this thing out, even though when I first started blogging I added pictures via html codes. Oh well. I use the blog mostly as sort of a family journal and as a great way for my family to see what we're doing (many of them aren't on facebook, plus I don't add many photos to facebook). So I think I'll continue even if I have to force myself. Maybe only one post a month though. We'll see.

I love what Alex wrote! It really was so cute.

As for Valentine's Day, Emma usually gets a combination of candy and a gift or two, but it changes every year depending on how I'm feeling. Some years she gets more than others. I guess she'll just have to learn to deal with randomness.

Cheryl said...

I am with you. I love blogging but I just haven't been good at it this year.
I think the prep for moving made it impossible to keep up with it and so I assumed that once we were here I would get back into it... but for some reason my life feels busier than it ever has lately.
I am going to try to get better because I truly love blogging and reading others blogs.
Your is one of my favorites so I hope you don't give it up!

Cheryl said...

Oh and I finally updated again! Your turn! :)