CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 21, 2012

A Little Late Night Mind Puke


I learned early on in life that it is best to just be friends with boys.  Why, you ask?  Because girls are mean.  If you are in a group of girl friends, every one has to be paired off in to sub groupings of "best friends" and then numbered in order of their importance to the group. And if any given girl is absent from school, leaves early from the party, or even goes to the bathroom, the remaining girls will talk about her while she is gone.  It did not take me long to realize that when I left they must also be talking about me.  Instead of wondering what they said, I learned to have ONE girl friend, and aside from her, to hang out with boys.

Well, today I was reminded that mean girls are still alive and well.

Alyssa got a few new summer shirts and new sandals this weekend. Today she paired a new shirt with a cute cardigan and jeans and finished the look with her new sandals.  She looked cute, but I think she always looks pretty cute.

She came home with a note from a "friend" that started with...

Alyssa,
You look so cute today.  I am glad you got a new outfit because usually we make fun of how ugly you dress behind your back.

The note went on to talk about how glad this girl was that she was popular and had lots of friends, blah, blah, blah....

Seriously, why would you ever write that kind of note?  Because, girls are mean.

It is almost painful for a girl to give another girl a compliment without qualifying it in some way.  I even see it with grown women.  I have even seen it in myself.  I can easily compliment others on things that I am not good at, but if it is a mutual talent I used to really struggle to give a compliment.  As if by admitting that someone else was good at the same thing as I was, I would siphon a little of my own talent and deposit it in their tank.

And we wonder why women are acutely aware of their appearance and apprehensive about every word they say.  They start life out being constantly and mercilessly scrutinized.

So how do you teach your daughter to deal with mean girls? Because I have learned that there are still mean girls in adulthood, but I have also learned that there are so many women who are amazing friends. I want her to understand that most mean girls are not really mean girls. They are just insecure girls who haven't learned to love themselves yet, neither have they learned that hurting others makes you feel weaker, not stronger. I want to help her believe that if she holds on tight it does get better, but I remember the sting of ugly words and I remember that no adult could tell me anything that made my pain any less dramatic.

I do not want her to go in to adulthood jaded, but maybe that is just part of growing up because sadly you cannot teach a child in words and reassurances things that they can only learn through living.

So when these ugly situations arise in our home I remind my kiddos who they are, knowing that I cannot repair or undo, but also wanting to do the best I can to counterbalance the damage. Of course even in the midst of my there, there's I secretly know that my opinion does not carry the same weight as the opinion on the playground, but I also know that one day, it will.

Anyway, that is the rambling in my head tonight.

11 comments:

Kehl The Beloved said...

If you get a good answer on how to deal with this, I would love to hear it. I worry about what our girls will have to deal with as they get older and kids start getting meaner.
I had almost all boy friends too.
Besides just the meanness, they could let loose and have fun without worrying about looking dumb.

LeShel said...

I'm just sick. I can hardly believe the sadness of your daughter and this little girl who wrote the note. Wow!
Heartbreaking.
I have no idea what you do with this. Boys just beat on each other and move on, no harm done... maybe a scratch- but chicks dig scars.
tough stuff for such little ones.

Seth and Julie said...

LeShel, Alyssa actually handled this one pretty well. She likes the way she dresses so she let it go but there are other times where she has taken ugly words more personally. Life with girls is just drama. What I fear even more than other girls' words is that my kids will be mean to others. We talk about that often but I know that they are a lot quicker to say sassy words to me than Alex is. Girls just seem to come with sharper tongues.

Julie L said...

That's a tough one. Fortunately, there are girls like Alyssa who are being taught social skills from an early age. Unfortunately, there are a lot of girls who are having to learn those skills the hard way. You're doing great. I can't think of anything more than to always have a haven of love and support for the child to come home to. And definitely teaching them the skills you teach is a good way to insulate them from the rudeness and cruelty of society.

Jesmyluk said...

I am just sick to my stomach at the thought of the "Mean Girl" clique still being a popular mentality.

All we can do is teach, teach, teach our children how NOT to act & pray, pray, pray they also remember who they are & where they come from & where they should be aiming their future toward. And then sit back & hope & support & love when things don't go according to the things we have taught them.

It is a sad commentary on society today that people can still be so cruel just because they themselves feel insecure.

Give that incredibly sweet girl of yours a hug from Crazy Sister Cowand. I love her & think she is beautiful, smart & awesome! And that, "that" little girl should be pitied for not having the Love of Christ in her heart.

Holly said...

Wow. There are just no words. What ugly behavior from that girl at school. And I'm sure their poor behavior is because they are insecure themselves, but also jealous of someone else who is happy with who they are. Alyssa is fabulous (obviously!), and I hope she won't run into too much of this.

I guess I was lucky as a kid, because either the girls at my schools were nicer than this, or I was too oblivious to notice their cruelness. I was always (and still am) my very worst and harshest critic anyway. So there is nothing anyone else could say that I wouldn't have already thought to myself.

I'm glad she seemed to handle this one okay. I hope you're okay too though! This kind of thing can be just as hard or even harder on mom I think, as you have to sit back and watch it happen to your precious child, and want to fix it, but know that there is only so much you can do.

This is the kind of thing that makes homeschooling sound better to me! I don't want to, and I think I'd be terrible at it, but in these moments you just want to do anything you can to protect your child and keep them in a bubble. Even if it's not necessarily the best way for them to learn and grow! Luckily Alyssa has a great family and awesome parents who have taught her about her own self worth and shared the gospel with her so she will always have the knowledge of who she can turn to in these times for help and comfort (besides mom of course!).

Jen said...

You and I have discussed this stuff so many times, and we were much the same growing up (have one girl BFF and the rest were boys). Girls can be cruel, and Alyssa got a horrible dose of it. Thank goodness she is confident enough to not let it get her down.

Annie has been dealing with this crud since kindergarten, and she is so bipolar about it. She will come home in agony after some mean girl said hateful things and swears to never talk to that girl again. Then the next day she says such and such is nice again and that they are BFFs again. Grrrr! I just try to stay out of it now because I'm going to see this for years and years to come. I do the same as you though and reiterate to my girls that they should never talk that way to others and explain that that behavior comes from insecurities and unhappiness.

Annie also has a bunch of boys who are mean to her, and once again I have to explain that it's their way of hiding that they like her. She doesn't believe me though...hahaha.

Unfortunately, as parents we are going to see some awful stuff happen to our kids, and the only thing we can do is teach them how to rise above it and become kind people regardless of the all the meanness in the world.

Seth and Julie said...

Holly, lots of things make me consider homeschooling but I am pretty sure I would stink at it.

Jen, This year has not been nearly as bad as last year when even her teacher was a bully. Funny you mention that Annie is friends with the girls the next day. Today this girl sat by Alyssa and tried to convince her that she likes Alyssa's style but had wanted her to know that other kids make fun. Alyssa came home laughing about it. She is pretty forgiving and she knows she has to be nice to others but she is also pretty good at figuring out who not to get to close to.

Val said...

I'm gonna drop a bucket of water on that girl's head...haha. Kidding, but I'm sure you will get the reference.

Seriously though, poor Alyssa! Hopefully she will learn to shrug it off and thankfully she has a SISTER, she will have a true buddy for life in Chlo-Chlo!

Unknown said...

Dang i was hoping mean girl and bullying were just myths out there and i'd nor anyone i knew would run into them. glad alyssa didnt have a hard time w/ it, i think once again u r a great mom and teaching your kids more than u know u do.

Katie and Mark said...

Ugh. Mean girls are awful! This is the type of stuff that makes me so worried for Brooklynne to start school. Hopefully, she can be like Alyssa and brush it off. Plus, poor Brooklynne won't have a built -in-best-friend-sister (The BEST kind ever)!!! :(