CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

And while I'm bragging....

We were informed today that Alyssa's bluebird project will be on display at the district's Academic Showcase this Saturday.  She was also selected to represent her school in person at the Showcase.  We already have plans for Saturday so they will have to select another representative but her work will still be displayed.  Yay Alyssa!

And while Alyssa is still standing center stage, she also tested to advance to the next level of ice skating yesterday and passed.  I have to admit that as I sat and watched the other parents chatting with grandmas and grandpas during testing, I felt a little bit jealous. I love where I live but every once in awhile I have moments where I think this is SO stupid!  I grew up 1/2 mile from both sets of grandparents and they were there cheering for every little thing I did.  I wish my kids had that.  Pity party complete.

With her completion certificate they gave her a little patch to indicate that she completed Basic 1 and now of course they have a jacket available for purchase to store her badges on.  I am telling you....the folks in charge of all these extra curricular activities sure know how to drain a checking account.

Anyway, she has decided that she wants to stick with skating and quit viola.  Of course she chose to give up the one thing that is FREE.  All I have to pay for is instrument rental, but I do notice that she really doesn't love viola so now we have some decisions to make.  We will probably take summer off of skating (and take swimming instead...my kids STILL can't swim) and that will give her some time to see if the passion for it is still there after a break.  For now though, she is very happy and I am very proud that she stepped out of her comfort zone and gave it her all.

Chloe tests on Friday but she is already SO over skating.  She says she is moving on to Tae Kwon Do next but I want to wait until she is 6 to start TKD.  She is still young and fickle so I don't think she will settle on any one thing for a couple of years and I am still kind of holding out for a dancer?

And since this has turned into another one of those posts, let's talk about Al for a second too.  His spring project was to make something out of recycled goods.  He did not tell me until the morning it was due.  I know he could have done something awesome because he loves to save trash (for real) and he often makes stuff out of it, but since he didn't currently have any trash toys handy (mean mom who throws them away), he had to  make something new, in 10 minutes or less.  Thankfully he had stashed all his plastic Easter eggs even though I had told them to throw them away (I know I should save them but I can't handle stuff that needs to be stored).  I told him to string them together and make a snake. I am sure you have seen that before, right?  It gave him something to turn in and a fun new trash toy as well. He pulled it out of his backpack today and told me it had been sent home and was not chosen for the Showcase but that he still really liked it and wanted a few pictures with it.  He said we should have put rice in it to make it rattle.  We totally should have!  I have so much to learn about building with trash.
001-8
004-2

8 comments:

LeShel said...

love the trash snake and that he came up with the idea of adding rice. Go Alex.
Glad Alyssa is loving ice skating! Hooray for her advancing.
If it helps my fingers are crossed that Chloe picks dance. I just love dance.

Jesmyluk said...

Way to go Alyssa!! I know what you mean about not having gparents around to cheer...probably the thing I miss most about AZ. Well that and 75 degree days in January. :)

And Alex I LOVE the snake! I never would have thought to add rice either, if it makes you feel better Julie.

Chloe is a doll & will be perfect at whatever she decides to do. {But I am rooting for the dancing too...shhhh} ;)

Jesmyluk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susie said...

I am always there in spirit and cheering in my heart for everything they do.

Tony and Ann said...

Thank goodness you post about these things, or else us grandparents would totally miss out!! It just about tears our hearts out to miss so much. We can't wait to see you guys in a couple months!!

Unknown said...

Jack collects/saves/treasures trash too. I'm constantly dejumking his stash. Darling snake! Skating, TKD, dance, viola...you are a busy momma going from one place to the next. And I remember the pitty party all too well. Can't wait to see you this summer!

Jen said...

Your kids are always being featured somewhere, so I'm not surprised one bit that Alyssa's project was chosen. Congrats, Alyssa!

The snake turned out cute. Now I know what I can do with all our leftover plastic eggs after Easter.

Val said...

Not only do the grandparents miss all the good stuff, but aunties/uncles do too! Such a bummer we can't be there, but I'm still so proud of all of them!