CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Singing for Liam

I have a new friend named Jessica. She is the 2nd counselor in Young Womens, so she is over the Beehives and I have the privilege of being her assistant. We giggle together in Sunday School, mostly because we are SO confused. Our Ward has a seriously advanced Sunday School class. We are always checking our scriptures, because we are sure they don't have as much info as the ones everyone else seems to be using. So we sit there and act silly. She calls us the two old geezers that sit in the balcony on the Muppets. Jessica even knows their names.

Then we are off to YW, where we get to spend another fun hour together, teaching and getting to know the Beehives. It makes for a really fun Sunday, and it has made the transition from Primary so much easier. I am loving getting to know more about my new friend.

But, before I knew Jessica, I knew Liam. Liam is Jessica's 10 year old son and I met him several months ago in Primary. They are still pretty new to our ward, but even in the short time that I got to spend with Liam, I have learned that he is a pretty phenomenal kid.

Liam has AT. Never heard of it? Neither had I, so I won't pretend to know very much. When I met him, his mom explained it to me this way...He is like any other kid, he understands everything that is going on around him, but be patient because he is stuck inside a body that just won't do what he wants it to do.

Jessica's mission is to help find a cure. And one way that you can help is by purchasing a song on itunes, with all proceeds going to fund research for AT. One song, for just over a dollar. You get asked for a dollar everywhere you go nowadays, right? Just today I gave a dollar to St. Judes while I was at Gymboree, because who wants to be the guy who says no thanks, I don't want to give a dollar? But these are people I actually know. A boy who just wants to be able to do the simple things we take for granted every day. A mother who just wants to save her child's life.

So if you want to know more about Liam, or about how you can purchase this song, check out Jessica's blog here.

4 comments:

Jesmyluk said...

Their names are Statler & Waldorf. And they are the funniest hecklers on the planet. Which is why I think we are so much like them, at least in my head we are super funny. ;D

I am so grateful for your help, support & friendship in Young Womens, Julie. I am not ashamed to admit I have no idea what I am doing. And if you weren't there the girls would be in serious trouble with me as their leader alone!

And I cannot thank you enough for spreading the news about Liam, A-T & the new song. So grateful this Christmas for my blessings in the form of amazing new friends, especially you. Thank you!

Jen said...

I'm so happy to hear that you've found a new friend you can giggle with. That's definitely important in life, at least to me. This is an easy task for me, and I've done it (and you know my true feelings about country). God bless Jessica's little boy. Liam sounds like an amazing and inspiring young man. I wish Liam and his family the best.

Tony and Ann said...

I didn't giggle in your Sunday School! If I'd known I could, I would have, cause I was so lost I wasn't sure I was even in the right church!! It's as though they were trying to impress others with their vast knowledge. I really prefer the good old "I don't know the answer to that" approach to teaching, and letting others lead us by the spirit. Reminds me of a saying (possibly true, but possibly not!) that is attributed to a certain General Authority. When asked to comment on the writings of a certain learned author (he wrote very fascinating things about the old and new testaments), this GenAuth said--"when I read his books, I keep a red pencil in hand. Sometimes in the margins I write TD for True Doctrine. Sometimes I write FD for False Doctrine. But most of the time I just write BS"

Seth and Julie said...

Jess, We are funny! I dare anyone to say otherwise. I also don't know what I am doing in YW, so I am so happy to be working as a team. I had to laugh when the Stake YW presidency came and sat in on my lesson on Sunday. It was only my 2nd lesson and I clearly still have Primary in my blood, since I modified Chutes and Ladders and worked it into my lesson. I actually thought that was a good idea until I saw Sis. Wilson and then I was quite worried about what she may have thought about it. Oh well, I had fun and I hope none of you took any flack for it in Presidency meeting.

Jen, Thanks for helping. I do know how you loathe country, so it means even more. And I love that I am meeting some new giggle buddies, but it doesn't mean that I don't still miss you. :(

Ann, Our SS is pretty intense. Our teacher is so smart and it is often WAY over my head BUT I actually think it is cool to hear how well he knows the scriptures and history of the scriptures and how perfectly it all fits together, but some of the commenters can go a little off base. I think they are trying to keep up with the teacher. I know better than to even try to chime in.