CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sad, sad!

My family is high in the sky heading back to California and I am sad. Sad, sad! Last night Alex was asking everyone their favorite part of the visit. We got a whole variety of answers, because we went a whole lot of places but when we reversed the question and asked Alex his favorite part he had the best answer... My favorite part was being with my family. Me too. I miss them horribly already, but I am so glad they were here and I have so many fun things to show you from their visit.

But not today, because today I have to get two little monkeys ready to start school tomorrow. And how do I feel about that? I am sad. Sad, sad!

Time has never escaped me more quickly than it did this Summer and I am baffled at how May took 4 months and Summer vacation took 27 minutes?

I have a lot of anxiety about back to school. Last year was hard for Alyssa. Tough teacher and no friends in her class. She has lots of friends in class this year and is happy about her new teacher but I still don't want to send them back. My kids change so much during the school year. They are crankier, they look less happy, more stressed and I feel like they are not allowed to just be kids. They pick up ugly words and thoughts and ideas that I think are too old for them. I always joke that we have to detox from the world every weekend and get our kids back. The Summer is even better for that and in the Summer I notice the innocence of childhood returning and the cares of the world fading. My kids cuddle with me more and say kinder words (sometimes) and life just feels better. And so I want to hide them and hoard them, but I know that they have to go out and learn to function in this world, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

And so today I am sick and anxious, and not ready for the 9 month battle with cold and schedules but we have survived it before and I have hope that we will again. I am thinking that me and Chloe will go out for a Boo Hoo breakfast tomorrow though. Anyone care to join us?

6 comments:

Holly said...

I feel the same way about the school year. Last year was Emma's first of course, but then it was sort of hard with our move here and making new friends, etc. And I didn't know it was possible for kids so young to know so many ugly words. It's sad how much faster and stronger these kids of ours need to grow up than we did. But they'll do alright with a great mom like you helping them through it all.

Funny that you mention breakfast. I was talking with Cheryl about going to lunch tomorrow - sort of the same idea. We should all work out a time to go somewhere (breakfast or lunch) together.

Cheryl said...

Oh my gosh. I am so with you. I knew this was going to be hard on me but I had no idea what it was going to be like. I am a wreck today. Last night it finally hit me when we were at the open house and Abi made a friend right away and we were so happy about that. Then last night while trying to fall asleep panic hit me. I have no idea who that girl is or what her family is like. What if she is the kid that swears or.....
I am 99.9% sure she is just a sweet wonderful little girl but I had no idea I had so much panic in me about that kind of stuff.
All day I keep looking at Abi and thinking tomorrow she will be gone all day. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I used to when I would get on a scary roller coaster and on the way up the hill you want to get off but it's way too late.
Anyway, like you I know it will be so good for her to get out and make her own friends and experience things.. I know she needs to learn how to deal with people.
I think Holly has a good idea. We should get together- breakfast might even work better than lunch because we could all meet up after the kids first go.
Let me know.

Brian and Tonya said...

Awww, what a bummer day. Hugs.

Julie L said...

And then one day you won't be sending kids off to school. That's when you'll really understand Sad, sad, sad. But wishing we could bring back those days, start over, try again - just isn't ever going to work. My heart goes out to all you young mothers. But I know you're all doing a terrific job and there will be a day when those little ones you're sending off will sit around a table and laugh about these days, and then, well...

It really isn't so Sad, sad, sad. Loving every stage of being a Mom - this one most of all.

Katie and Mark said...

Sad. Your post makes ME want to home school. :( Ibmiss my babies too, but we got good teachers. They are enjoying themselves so far. :) Will Chloe go to PreK?

Jen said...

Glad to hear that you got some time with your extended family. I'm sure it was very sad to see them go. I never like good-byes.

As for school starting...woo-hoo! Haha! I know we are opposite ends of the spectrum about having our kids home for the summer. It was a relief to me to have them start school. But that's also because I knew it would be easier to get stuff unpacked/organized with them out of the way. The girls will be home on Fridays now, so that's an extra day with them each week. Mike will be home most of those days which will be great for them to get extra time with Dad!

We need to catch up!