This year we started in Green Bay and did Door County second. Since Seth has traveled a lot this year for work he had enough Hilton reward points to pay for the hotel, which was just down the street from Lambeau Field. We had so much fun just shopping in Green Bay. Every Walmart, K-mart, Shopko, has a huge section of all Packers merchandise. There were so many things we wanted but we refrained since we already have lots of Packers gear. Unfortunately most of our gear is in the form of hoodies, and long sleeved shirts so we did go to the Packers Pro Shop at Lambeau and each pick out one new thing to wear for the game.
This year there was not as much going on at the actual pre-game event. We are guessing it is because they had to throw it together last minute and didn't have a chance to book anything, due to the lockout? Last year they had aerialists and bungee trampolines for the kids and bounce houses and all kinds of stuff. They still had a handful of booths with smaller activities (tattoos, making game signs, etc.) but since there was not as much going on as last year, the booths were all drawing quite a crowd and the lines were not always worth waiting in. We ate and hit a few booths and then went to stand in the shade over by the players parking lot to watch the players and coaches come in.
We were standing by a tent where some kind of catered event was going on. We had no idea what it was but we had to be asked a few times not to sit on the fence. Well, when the gates opened to let people into the stadium everyone booked it for the line. Since we still had an hour until game time we opted to stay put for a minute, which as it turns out, landed us in the right place at the right time.
A woman opened the gate (the one we kept sitting on) going into the catered event and asked us and another family that was still lingering behind if we had eaten yet. We told them we had but she told us to come join them anyway. She said they had lots of food and yummy desserts. So in we marched. Of course I tried to quietly blend in with the tablecloth but Seth was chatting with everyone and making himself at home. One thing I love about Seth is that he does not get uncomfortable or star struck or feel out of place. He will talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime. We had the chance to talk to a few event planners, travel agents, and such for the team and learned that the party we were crashing was for the families of the new draft picks. One woman at our table asked the kids who their favorite players were and of course Alyssa and Alex who are shy like me, just stared at their plates, but Chloe had an answer and piped up with I like Chorizo! Ha,ha! Chorizo, the racing sausage from the Brewers. Wrong team, but at least it wasn't a Chicago team. At least she keeps her preferences North of the border. So anyway, Seth noticed that this same woman was wearing a Superbowl ring and asked to see it. She held out her hand and we had a good long look at it. So cool, but it gets better...
A few minutes later we noticed that a woman at the next table (who happens to be Mike McCarthy's assistant) was showing off her ring. Seth, who couldn't get enough of the Superbowl rings, walked over and joined the conversation. He asked her how heavy it was to which she replied, you can feel it if you want. Uh...yes please! He quickly snatched it up and then told me to get out my camera and put the sucker on his finger. I would have NEVER but I told you Seth felt right at home. The other family that we came in with, who had already looked at the ring saw Seth's bold move and the husband asked if he could please try it on as well. He works in MN with Vikings fans, and Seth in Chicago with Bears fans and they were so excited to take home pictures of the ring to show their coworkers. I did not try it on but I did hold it for a second, a real Superbowl ring. The thing weighs 8 ounces. Crazy!
You may think that story is no big deal, but we are dorks and it was pretty awesome to us. Everyone was so nice to us even when they found out we were nobodies and that we had snuck in to the party.
After overstaying our welcome, we got in line and headed into the stadium. The boys warmed up and then began to play. It was fun to sit in Lambeau and watch them play, but it is just a scrimmage so it is not the same kind of exciting that it is to watch them play an opponent. I have got to get to a real game one day.
As luck would have it, about 30 minutes into the game, an announcement came over the speakers telling us that severe weather was expected. The skies were bright blue so we thought they meant later that night, but they asked us to evacuate the stadium and to wait in the halls for the storm to pass. Weird, but off we went. And no sooner had we cleared the stadium then a giant cold wind blew in and boom, rain. Big rain! For an hour and a half it dumped rain. We couldn't leave because we had walked from our hotel (about 1/4 mile) and because they had promised fireworks after the storm and Chloe was NOT leaving without her fireworks. After an hour and a half they finally just let everyone back in, in the still falling rain, for fireworks. So we stepped out in the rain and watched the show. Luckily as we were watching the show the rain stopped so we were able to walk back to our hotel without getting too wet.
So this year Packers Family Night had its ups and downs but we had a good time and walked away with good memories and lots of stories to tell. Alright the words were mostly for me and my posterity, here are the pictures for the rest of you.
New gear: hat for Al, shirt for Chlo...
Luckily we got out fast when they evacuated and ended up against a wall, because this is how the rest of the corridor looked.
More of the Wisconsin Vacay still to come.
Oh, one more thing. A photographer took a picture of my kids eating before the game so I went on the Packers website to see if I could find it. No luck, but I found a link to their Facebook page and here we are pre-game walking around. I am not loving this picture of my backside. I took the Summer off from the gym and didn't realize I had added so much junk back to my trunk. Working out tonight!!! Maybe? No, definitely!
Oh, one more thing. A photographer took a picture of my kids eating before the game so I went on the Packers website to see if I could find it. No luck, but I found a link to their Facebook page and here we are pre-game walking around. I am not loving this picture of my backside. I took the Summer off from the gym and didn't realize I had added so much junk back to my trunk. Working out tonight!!! Maybe? No, definitely!
7 comments:
Your kids will always remember these game days and the sourveniors will prove it! I wish we lived closer to entertainment. The Bees suck this year..maybe we'll have to try the Jazz this year...unless the lock out doesn't end.
Thanks for the words with the pix. Sounds like a super fun day for you. The ring was awesome. What a fun day for memories. Glad you were safe in the storm, but it is a mess to be packed into corridors like that. Can't wait to hear about the rest.
I am thinking you had the best trip ever! A super bowl ring? I had no idea there was so much bling in those suckers. I was thinking they were more like a high school ring. So wrong.
I'm thinking we need to crash this party with you next year. So cool.
Makinzee, I am getting SO annoyed with all these lockouts!
Julie, The storm was not ideal but really it makes a better story and probably a more lasting memory. Luckily everyone was very friendly and the kids made friends to play with while we waited out the storm.
LeShel, Please join us next year!!! You boys would love it. Do you camp? You are welcome to come along for that as well.
Wow! Great story, AND cool pix! I love the Superbowl ring pictures. Seth sounds like my Hubby, and I sound more like you :) Glad the storm didn't completely ruin things. Btw, I can't believe how old Chloe looks in these pictures. Crazy!
As much as our family dislikes football, this actually looks like a very exciting event to be part of. Maybe one of these years we'll continue with our Door County tradition and include this in our "tour". Glad to see that you guys did so much fun stuff! Love those earrings of Alyssa's. Annie is about to "elope" to get her ears pierced, that's how much she wants to get them done. I'm holding out though until I know absolutely that can and will take care of her own ears after the piercing take places. I just don't think she's ready yet.
Wow. I, like Leshel, thought they were more like high school rings. Pretty cool.
Post a Comment