CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Deezy's Day

Our little Deezy girl is 9! Wow. That is almost into double digits and half way to adulthood. I better not think about that for too long.

Since we only do friend parties on even years, today was just a family day and Alyssa was in charge of the day's agenda starting with big fat custard filled donuts for breakfast. Then she decided to open presents right away. Next up was fishing with daddy, and she even let Alex tag along. While she was away me and Chloe worked on her birthday cake, which was actually just mini cheesecakes, per Alyssa's request. After fishing we headed up to Milwaukee where it was hot, humid and hopping. The beaches were packed. We drove up the shoreline and around the old mansions, because we are dorks and that is what we like to do. Then we headed over for a late lunch/early dinner at Maggiano's, also Alyssa's choice. We are not huge fans of Italian food but Maggiano's was delicious, as always. Next up was the mall where Alyssa enjoyed the Apple store and wanted an iPad and then an iPhone when she found out how much cheaper it was than an iPad. Yeah right kiddo! Then we moseyed home where Alyssa originally wanted to play games or watch Harry Potter as a family but when we got here she bolted out the door to go play with neighbors for the rest of the day. I guess she had had her fill of family time, and she is not even a teenager yet. Sigh! Now she is tucked into her bed with a good book and when I asked her she said her birthday was everything she wanted it to be, except that she didn't catch a fish.

A look at Alyssa's big day. I set everything up last night so that she would see it when she got up. She actually got in my bed and snuggled up for a bit this morning but when she finally made her way to the living room her face lit up like it was Christmas morning.
Photobucket
Her haul included Kaya's (American Girl) deerskin dress, baby and papoose from Grandma Susie (Alyssa kept asking for this because she is into Native American History right now). Viola and classical music CD's from Grandpa Bill, an outfit and swimsuit that I got with money sent by Grandpa Bob, and the rest is from her parents and siblings. She was so fun to shop for because she has very specific interests right now. She got Harry Potter movies 3-6, a reading lamp to clip to her bunk and a reading pillow. We figured if she is going to sneakily read until midnight every night we should at least make sure she is comfortable and can see. A new plush blanket that she pets every time we are at Target. Alex is so jealous of that blanket and wants a boy one for his birthday and he also desperately wants to steal the one Alyssa made Seth for Father's Day. That boy has a bit of a blanket obsession. Anyway, back to the goods. She also got a new journal and pens, Mastermind, Mexican Train Dominoes and Wipeout for her DS. Not bad for a kid who didn't have a party.
Photobucket
I sent Seth with a camera while he fished but he did not return with any pictures. Here is Chloe helping make cookie crust cheesecake cups while they were away.
Photobucket
When Seth said that Victoria could not go fishing with them Alyssa brought in a stick and asked me to tie it to Victoria's hand so that she could fish while they were gone.
Photobucket
Here is Chloe making fun. She asked me to take a picture of her being caught by Victoria's fishing rod.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
And since I thought Alex's birthday interview was so cute (idea borrowed from my cousin Catherine), I decided to ask Alyssa a few questions as well.

Favorite color?
Hot Pink

Favorite restaurant(s)?
Maggiano's, Outback, Cheesecake Factory

Favorite food(s)?
Sandwich with roast beef, cheese, miracle whip (gag), lettuce, lots of mustard, pickles and banana peppers. Steak, especially the Victoria's fillet (funny thing is I adored that steak when I was pregnant with Alyssa and it put the name Victoria on my radar. Alyssa was so close to being a Victoria). Salmon. Tuna with Miracle Whip and no bread

Favorite dessert?
Cheesecake with no crust

What do you want to be when you grow up?
Same as Daddy, whatever he does at Discover Card (Alex chimed in from the top bunk...me too, me too...that's what I want to do too)

Favorite Songs?
Mean by Taylor Swift, Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri, Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland, Who Says by Selena Gomez, Best Friend's Brother by Victoria Justice and Hot Cross Buns on the Viola (only thing she has learned so far)

Favorite Books?
Harry Potter, Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing and the other Fudge books by Judy Blume

Hobbies?
Reading, dominoes, bike riding, DS (which she hasn't touched in months but since she got a new game today it is back in the shiny new toy category for a few days)

Favorite places to go?
To play with the neighbors, Monkey Joe's, Chuck E. Cheese's, Six Flags, and vacation

Best vacation ever?
I guess the last one where we stayed part of the time at Valerie's house

Favorite subject?
Oh, not Math...or Science...or Social Studies...hmmmm.....History-just kind of boring, I guess Art.

Favorite shows?
Victorious, Big Time Rush, Wipeout, iCarly, Good Luck Charlie, Suite Life on Deck, Phineas and Ferb

Favorite movies?
Harry Potter, Toy Story 3, Tangled, Power Rangers Samurai, Suite Life Movie and Gnomeo and Juliet

Favorite nickname?
Deeta (Chloe started this one when she was a baby. Alex called her Dee-no idea why- and Chloe expanded it to Deeta. I modified it to Deezy and Diesel. Many of her nicknames originated from Alex calling her Dee.)

Something you are proud of from this last year?
I was the only girl to get word masters in the third grade.

Something you hope to learn while you are 9?
How to tame my brother.

Happy 9th Birthday Alyssa! We love you!!! Oh, and good luck with the whole brother taming thing.

7 comments:

Catherine said...

Happy birthday, Alyssa. It seems like you just posted about her 8th birthday and baptism! I loved reading her birthday interview (and it's not really an idea original to me, my mom used to interview us on our birthdays and write our answers in our journals. So feel free to help yourself. =D ) (I've been trying to get my girls' interviews up on my blog for days but for some reason blogger won't let me.) Anyway my favorite answer from Alyssa was that she would like to learn how to tame her brother this year. Priceless.

Jen said...

The Hawleys wish Alyssa a {belated} birthday! It sounds like it was a great one. Who needs a party with all those presents and treats?!? Annie and Mimi ask about the kids daily and really hope we will get the opportunity to vacation with you guys one day. This summer is just so dang busy that I can't even think straight. I keep meaning to call you, but by the time things get settled it's well midnight (as you can see from comment timestamp). Don't forget about us!

Katie and Mark said...

Love the interview! Tame my brother. SO funny! 3rd grade girl Word Champion? Sounds awesome!

I love her reading set up for her birthday. Maybe I can steal that idea for Kaden in February. :)

Happy Birthday Alyssa! I am now officially terrified that Kaden will be 9 in seven more months. Half way to adulthood? Scary!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to comment on so many things from this but now all I can think of is...Alyssa likes Miracle Whip?? Gross.

I hope she got my message cause you guys were gone when I tried to call back. I LOVE the pic of her smiling in front of the treats, she looks so pretty. I also definitely enjoyed the Chloe fish pic. I feel so honored that she mentioned my pad in her favorite vacation response!

Luke also wants an iphone now because of angry birds and says he can't wait to be a grown up so he can work and buy one. We asked him what he wants to do for work when he's older and he said..."poop in my pants!" Then of course he started cracking up at himself. I thought Alyssa might find that story entertaining...

Cheryl said...

I love the picture of her sitting in bed reading Harry Potter. That book looks so much bigger with her reading it.
What a fun birthday! Happy birthday Alyssa!

Julie L said...

Oh, the years nine, ten, eleven, and into twelve are wonderful years. Old enough to talk like an adult, and young enough to behave like one! Happy Birthday, Alyssa! I love the interview idea. It would be fun to see how the questions change over the year. I would vote for the cheese cake birthday cakes, too! Yum!

Unknown said...

What a fun birthday interview. I've tried to do the same thing on video...the kids get really silly answering questions! Happy 9! Wow. 9.