
Steven, the baby of our family is 20 today!!! Holy What? How did that happen? He should be about Alyssa's age the last time I checked.
We love our baby boy! Steven has been sitting on a pedestal being praised and adored from the minute he arrived. When we found out Steven was going to be a boy, after 4 girls in a row, I was...disappointed, to be honest. I wanted another sister and I knew that once we got a boy my mom would stop having kids. I never wanted to stop getting new siblings. But, when Steven arrived I knew he was exactly what we needed and that we surely didn't need anymore. He was the perfect ending!
We doted on this kid like nobody's business. We thought he was some kind of superstar. I still think Steven was probably the cutest little boy I have ever seen, even in spite of the curled under mullet, blush and sailor suit my mom made him wear.
Steven was younger than Alex is now when I moved away to college. That sucked! I hated leaving my kids behind. I was afraid that I would become more like some distant aunt than a sister. That thought broke my heart. But luckily, me and my siblings are codependent and we have always craved every moment we could get together. So, whenever I came home it was like we hadn't missed a beat. We may be 13 years apart but I love to spend some time with my brother.
When I came home from my mission (Steven was 10) we sat and played board games from the time he got home from school every day until bed time. I didn't have any friends in Downey anymore so Steven was my buddy. He wrote a story about his family and about me he said... Julie is always there to play games with me. Just like the roller skating with Kelly, I don't know if that makes me a good big sis or a total loser. I don't care, those are some of my fondest memories.
I remember thinking that I would be so sad when Steven became too cool to hang out with his family, but it never happened. He definitely got cool, but he never abandoned us. This kid was QB on his high school football team, drummer in a rock band (ADHD cool name, huh?) and about as popular as it gets. I believe he was nominated for 7 class favorite awards. But if we were in town he always stayed home to play games and hang out. He was the nicest teenage boy I have ever met.
He was even really excited to become an uncle. We were in Vegas for Thanksgiving to watch Steven in a football tournament when I announced my pregnancy with Alyssa. Steven went around telling all his football buddies. He also spent lots of time at the arcade trying to win stuffed animals for the baby. So cute!
He still loves to hang with the kids. Alyssa has a major crush on her Uncle Steven. She cuddles up beside him whenever he sits down. He will even sit and watch lame Mary Kate and Ashley movies with her.
As for me and Steven we are still the ultimate board game dream team. We usually draw names for teams and everyone is overjoyed when me and Steven are paired up. We both tend to be a bit spacey and answer questions without thinking or listening to the question. We also rule at Cranium. Once we were trying to secretly communicate with each other. I thought he wanted to tell me a secret so I cupped my hands around my ear and put my ear up. He thought I wanted to tell him a secret so he cupped his ear and put it up to mine. There we were ear to ear waiting for the other one to talk. Then we'd look at each other and shrug and try again. After a few attempts we noticed our family in hysterics. Steven, do you think they are laughing with us or at us? Whatever, a laugh is a laugh!
Anyhow, my brother Steven is truly one of the most likable people ever. He is easy going and friendly. He never gets involved in gossip or trash talk. If some of us are arguing he never even takes sides. He just stays clear of drama. Steven is also the best person to go to if you need a hug. He will sit right down and snuggle with anyone, even his great big Papa. Everybody loves Steven and I am so grateful to be his sister.
Happy Birthday Steven...I love you!!! I promise to make Tuppies in July!!!
Our big, tall baby brother (on the far right)
Steven And Alyssa drumming

Steven and his sisters+Alyssa (ADHD groupies)
4 comments:
Don't you mean Alyssa will watch Mary Kate and Ashley movies with HIM? Ha ha. How could anyone not love Estebon, he is the sweetest guy ever! I love that you have pictures of the "Tuppy/ADHD" birthday party, that was SO fun.
Julie,
I think a couple of those pictures are of Paul Richart?
Dad
Steven got one of the best qualities from each of his five siblings. He is a lucky kid to have all 5 of you. We love you Steven, have a fun day. No more teenagers, end of an era (or 2) Hopefully Kelly won't ruin the fun for Esteban.
Steven owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win a $1,000 hand of poker despite holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.
Post a Comment